#1 User is offline   gogo2711 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-01, 06:55

You are in third position, nonvul vs vul with

Axx AQ9xxxx xx x.

bidding is

p 1 ?

I´m interested in both MP and IMP scoring, and have no clear idea on what to bid with this hand. 4 might be too much since we have 2 aces, reasonably 2 def tricks, but i want to show my heart length, and 3 seems like an underbid. if i bid 1 i didn´t do any preempt damage so they´re free to find any fit they want. I´m leaning towards 3 for now but would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-01, 07:13

Although partner has passed I am not about to bid 3H with a hand this good. IMO anything other than 1H is a poor choice.

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 07:21

Depending on opponents, state of the match, and form of scoring, I might bid 3 or 4 hearts. But I wouldn't pretend anything except 1H is a normal action on the hand. The statement that you have no clear idea what to bid suggests that involving partner is a good thing to do. The fact that you have reasonable defence suggests that preempting is not particularly necessary. And the fact that you have a good hand suggests that you might be more successful with a constructive approach than an obstructive one here, opening bid notwithstanding.

In most cases I'm not prepared to guess at the contract at this point, and that is essentially what you are doing when preempting. So just overcall and see what happens next.

#4 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 12:08

I will bid 4. I feel like when preempting 4M is reasonable, it is almost always the best choice.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 17:00

View Postawm, on 2014-March-01, 12:08, said:

I will bid 4. I feel like when preempting 4M is reasonable, it is almost always the best choice.

I took it for real when you said a couple of years ago that your data greatly supported preempting to 4M was very good with 10-15 HCP hands or so.

Maybe I am being unlucky, but let me tell you tha tit is working extremely badly for me on Match points, weak fields.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-01, 18:24

View Postgogo2711, on 2014-March-01, 06:55, said:

You are in third position, nonvul vs vul with
A x x A Q 9 x x x x x x x.
p 1 ?
I´m interested in both MP and IMP scoring, and have no clear idea on what to bid with this hand. 4 might be too much since we have 2 aces, reasonably 2 def tricks, but i want to show my heart length, and 3 seems like an underbid. if i bid 1 i didn´t do any preempt damage so they´re free to find any fit they want. I´m leaning towards 3 for now but would like to hear some opinions.
IMO 4 = 10, 1 = 9, 3 = 6

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-01, 18:32

The one bid I want to make is 2. Of course, I play Pass - (1x) - any jump shift in 3rd or 4th seat here as Intermediate, so I would be showing 10-15 HCP, 6-7 Hearts, and a pretty good suit.

If I were opening the hand, I would follow awm's advise and open 4. As an overcall, I think 3 might work out better here. However, I think I will make the bid most other tables will make - 1.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 22:24

What's the 1 side's opening 1NT range?

Assuming 15-17, if I had better hearts, I would consider 4, but with a ragged suit for a 4 level preempt with 2 aces for defense, I'll bid 1. 3 isn't a possibility for me.

With 2 aces, I'm not very worried about a club game and can outbid partials in hearts, and looking at 3 spades to the ace and a singleton, it looks like the possibility of a good defensive hand against a potential spade contract.

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-March-01, 23:46

I would bid 1 or 4. The in-between bids are poor imo.
At this vul, 4 looks right.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-02, 05:21

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-01, 17:00, said:

I took it for real when you said a couple of years ago that your data greatly supported preempting to 4M was very good with 10-15 HCP hands or so.

Maybe I am being unlucky, but let me tell you tha tit is working extremely badly for me on Match points, weak fields.

I am also a big believer of what AWM said about 4M openings back then. But why would you do anything other than textbook bids in a weak field and MP anyway ? Opening 4M preempts are some sort of gamble with very good odds, but why would you gamble even with good odds in a game where you are the top dog and you are likely to score very well in most of the boards w/o doing anything fancy ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-03, 10:34

[NAE]
4 for me is clear. If partner had not passed then the decision would be harder (and probably then only 1).
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-03, 17:03

+1 for 4.
foobar on BBO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users