BBO Discussion Forums: Saving over 3NT? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Saving over 3NT?

Poll: Saving over 3NT? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. 4S (21 votes [91.30%])

Percentage of vote: 91.30%

2. Pass and lead a S if 3NT is passed out (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. Pass and lead a C if 3NT is passed out (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Pass and lead a H if 3NT is passed out (0 votes [0.00%])

5. something more creative (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-06, 08:04

Regional swiss against two excellent young players (who may remember this hand):

Thanks for the feedback.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 09:04

Pass and lead a spade, as partner may have the diamonds guarded.

Of course, under "something more creative", I'm tempted by "pass and lead a diamond :)"

#3 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2014-January-06, 09:26

4S is a clear call to me. Yes, it could be wrong, but that seems unlikely

#4 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 09:37

Was partner's 1S overcall asking to compete with a fit and an excuse?
I have 4-support, A void. A side 6-suit with an honor.
I'm bidding 4S.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-January-06, 09:52

4 is clear.

On a good day, it might even make. But down 2 is likely to be fine.

#6 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-09, 08:21

Thanks for the input all ... I did bid 4S without hesitation but in retrospect I think I should have given more consideration to beating them...

Ofc we weren't beating them anyway, but 4Sx was a big number because partner also took this moment to step out with AKxx xxx KJxx xx. He apologized and took responsibility, but I couldn't help having second thoughts on my own decision and wanted to get some feedback...
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#7 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2014-January-09, 09:08

I would bid 4S even now that I know the result :)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-09, 11:57

View Postwyman, on 2014-January-09, 09:08, said:

I would bid 4S even now that I know the result :)

Yes. Me, too; but not now that I know partner is one of those "must do something" people.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-January-09, 18:15

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-09, 11:57, said:

Yes. Me, too; but not now that I know partner is one of those "must do something" people.

I don't understand this comment. Is not a 1S overcall clear with partner's hand?
For what its worth, notwithstanding the result, I think a 4S bid with the responding hand is an abomination. You have a couple of unsupported Queens. I think you have all been mightily seduced by the void.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-09, 19:43

A 1S overcall is clear on this hand to some people. It is good reason to never take a 4-level sacifice over a voluntary 3NT when playing across from those people. Coincidentally, taken as separate issues --- 4-level sacs vs 3nt seem to have been successful about as infrequently as 1-level overcalls on 4-baggers. Don't count the hands where a 1-level overcall breaks even with not making a 1-level overcall.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-January-09, 20:08

This all reminds me of a story. Team event. At one table, fourth seat for his first call bid 4H as a raise of a 1H overcall. This was doubled and set, at teams mind you, 1400 on a part score hand. Declared went nuts.

at the other table, rodwell bid the same 4H after the same 1H overcall. Jeff noted that Eric can't take a joke but then played it competently for -1100 and an imp win.

point?

You sometime s make the right call in both seats and must then play it right for only down 4 against a not making game, and that is good bridge.

As an aside, don't listen to hog. Ever. Unless for a laugh.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#12 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-January-09, 23:48

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-January-09, 20:08, said:

This all reminds me of a story. Team event. At one table, fourth seat for his first call bid 4H as a raise of a 1H overcall. This was doubled and set, at teams mind you, 1400 on a part score hand. Declared went nuts.

at the other table, rodwell bid the same 4H after the same 1H overcall. Jeff noted that Eric can't take a joke but then played it competently for -1100 and an imp win.

point?

You sometime s make the right call in both seats and must then play it right for only down 4 against a not making game, and that is good bridge.

That is "Mr. Hog" to you. I guess the same applies to buying your book?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   madongjun 

• China
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics、sports

Posted 2014-January-10, 04:15

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-10, 05:21

5-4 fit + any 6 card on the side = 4

Pd had only 4 spade, i think his 1 is reasonable at the least. I would not have done it but i don't think 1 is as bad as people think but definitely not "clear" as someone mentioned.

Posted Image

You just created a new signature quote for me !

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-January-10, 05:44

View Postthe hog, on 2014-January-09, 23:48, said:

That is "Mr. Hog" to you. I guess the same applies to buying your book?

Actually, somewhat. Humor is definitely part of several of them.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-January-10, 08:34

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-10, 05:21, said:

5-4 fit + any 6 card on the side = 4

Pd had only 4 spade, i think his 1 is reasonable at the least. I would not have done it but i don't think 1 is as bad as people think but definitely not "clear" as someone mentioned.

Posted Image

If I were childish enough to use one, I would suggest Ace is a misspelling of ass. By the way is the truck an illustration of penis envy?

#17 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-10, 08:43

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-09, 19:43, said:

4-level sacs vs 3nt seem to have been successful about as infrequently as 1-level overcalls on 4-baggers.

Weird, I find my "saves" vs 3NT to often result in double game swings.

#18 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-10, 10:06

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-10, 05:21, said:

View Postthe hog, on 2014-January-10, 08:34, said:

If I were childish enough to use one...

I am listening to the Hog. And I am laughing.... given that he does use a signature quote. ("The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#19 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-January-10, 10:34

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-09, 19:43, said:

4-level sacs vs 3nt seem to have been successful about as infrequently as 1-level overcalls on 4-baggers. Don't count the hands where a 1-level overcall breaks even with not making a 1-level overcall.
Wow, I'd better get on those sacs over 3NT then. I can't remember the last time I made one, but obviously they'll work about once a month.

Heh, it's been almost a year since I disagreed with the Honourable Gentleman from Extremely North Nevada enough to post. Gotta keep it up!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-10, 11:20

View Postthe hog, on 2014-January-10, 08:34, said:

If I were childish enough to use one, I would suggest Ace is a misspelling of ass. By the way is the truck an illustration of penis envy?

LOL

Waaa Waaa Waaaaaa!

Is this the smartest reply you could come up with sweetheart ?

Do you even remember by how many members were you called childish and how many times were you asked to grow up ? Or is this the grown up version of you ? Posted Image

In fact it may be smart thing for you to not make any comment about bridge, just like you don't do in play and defense topics, and try to attack on people's forum name and/or their job. One may wonder which one you are worse at, but i have to admit the comments about bridge you made are far worse than your childish behavior and obsession with things like pussy-ass-penis.

I started to think, if one, in a bridge forum, is obsessed with ass-pussy-penis, hate and rudeness each time he understands he is out classed by someone (and i am not talking about myself, remember the names you got into it in the past and your replies to them ) excessive submissive and sissy style in bidding, must be due to something only known to you. But whatever it is, each time you lose yourself in the forums, with so many different people at different times, it is becoming more obvious to me also Posted Image

About the "penis envy" part. If you are somehow trying to imply that you have a size that you are proud of, don't waste your time, it ain't gonna help you at the bridge table besides embarrassing yourself which is your expertise anyway . Especially when you are bidding all the time with your tail between your legs and waiting for the hand you saw in textbook. Just chill out and get your nuts rubbed sweetheart Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users