Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unblock?

#1 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-06, 11:22

At these colors and position 2 is wide ranging, and can be a 5-card suit. Partner leads the J which promises the Q and denies the K. Now what?

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-06, 11:40

Yes, I would certainly unblock. Unless you tell me the lead cannot be from AQJ or QJ10 I would expect one of those for an honour lead (or QJ9 if the 9 weren't in dummy).

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-November-06, 12:21

Not unblocking assumes that partner is an idiot. Who leads Queen from QJ-empty, rather than low, against 3NT when partner preempted? An idiot.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-November-06, 13:37

Yes unblock. Not close. Partner is not leading a 4 card suit in preference to your suit, and if partner has chosen to lead the J from QJ8xx, that is ill-considered imo, and the defense is on partner.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-06, 17:49

So obviously one should unblock if partner will "always" have QJ10.

The recent Bird opening lead book suggests that double dummy it's right in many situations to lead high from two honors only. Assume that both of you are in agreement that you don't always promise the third honor. Is it still right to unblock here?

Or, to turn the question around, if you weren't worried about partner misreading the position, would low or high from QJxxx be more likely to be the right lead?

Also, I should have specified in the OP, but this is matchpoints, which could affect things.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-06, 18:36

Partner preempted in a different suit. No way I would ever lead high from QJxxx.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-November-06, 18:53

Unblock. Partner has to have a good reason to lead his suit instead of yours, and QJT may be sufficient. And I don't think this is one of the situations that its right to lead high from 2 honors - partner is liable to be short, and you are likely to crash one of 3 potentially helpful honors by leading high.
Chris Gibson

#8 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-06, 22:28

Casting my vote with the unblock bloc :D.

We might be headed for a 0 if declarer has AT9x or something similar, but surely pard would lead low from QJxxx?
foobar on BBO

#9 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 04:02

jeffford76, on 2013-November-06, 17:49, said:

The recent Bird opening lead book suggests that double dummy it's right in many situations to lead high from two honors only. Assume that both of you are in agreement that you don't always promise the third honor. Is it still right to unblock here?

Or, to turn the question around, if you weren't worried about partner misreading the position, would low or high from QJxxx be more likely to be the right lead?

This hand seems like quite a good illustration of the problems of using double dummy analysis to make this sort of decision.

Or, to turn it around, I'm not convinced your second question is really the relevant one. There will be some hands where low from QJxxx works better, and others where high from QJxxx works better. But if you agree that partner cannot expect more than QJxxx then you have created a problem on the hands where you actually have QJ10xx since partner no longer knows what to do. Of course this isn't a problem for double dummy analysis since the computer will always get it right with Kx, but in real life you have just made it impossible to defend certain hands properly.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 07:27

jeffford76, on 2013-November-06, 17:49, said:

So obviously one should unblock if partner will "always" have QJ10.

Also, I should have specified in the OP, but this is matchpoints, which could affect things.

Just to make things clear: I would unblock even if partner could have led from 3 cards like !dQJx, even if he leads the queen which is consistent with Qx I will still play him for the most likely QJ10xx. Note that we could blow a trick even when he has QJ10x, if that´s the case well... tough luck, blocking the suit on a normal lie out is way worse.

#11 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 11:16

WellSpyder, on 2013-November-07, 04:02, said:

This hand seems like quite a good illustration of the problems of using double dummy analysis to make this sort of decision.

Or, to turn it around, I'm not convinced your second question is really the relevant one. There will be some hands where low from QJxxx works better, and others where high from QJxxx works better. But if you agree that partner cannot expect more than QJxxx then you have created a problem on the hands where you actually have QJ10xx since partner no longer knows what to do. Of course this isn't a problem for double dummy analysis since the computer will always get it right with Kx, but in real life you have just made it impossible to defend certain hands properly.

Both choices make it impossible to defend certain hands properly. The question is which method allows more hands to be defended properly. I do understand that double dummy lets you get all of them right.

#12 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 11:41

jeffford76, on 2013-November-07, 11:16, said:

Both choices make it impossible to defend certain hands properly. The question is which method allows more hands to be defended properly.

Fair point. If you are concerned with imps as well as mps, then it is also relevant whether the hands where you can get it right are also more likely to be the ones where there is actually a chance to get the contract off, which might just point to being able to get the QJ10 hands right rather than the QJ ones.

#13 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-07, 12:04

WellSpyder, on 2013-November-07, 11:41, said:

If you are concerned with imps as well as mps, then it is also relevant whether the hands where you can get it right are also more likely to be the ones where there is actually a chance to get the contract off, which might just point to being able to get the QJ10 hands right rather than the QJ ones.

Agreed - I didn't think this was particularly interesting at imps. But low at matchpoints has a lot of trick blowing potential.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users