• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is a spade lead active?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-29, 02:38

IMPs (teams)

(Bidding of opps cannot always be trusted)
- What do you lead?
- Do you consider a Spade lead active or passive?

#2 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2013-September-30, 09:53

I lead a low heart per agreement. Per David Bird, most Europeans prefer 2nd best from 4 small, most Americans 4th best.

Partner is much more likely to have more spades than hearts and thus a spade lead will slightly more likely give up the location of his potential spade Q. So, a spade lead is riskier. Still not active.

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-30, 10:21

View PostBillPatch, on 2013-September-30, 09:53, said:

I lead a low heart per agreement. Per David Bird, most Europeans prefer 2nd best from 4 small, most Americans 4th best.

Partner is much more likely to have more spades than hearts and thus a spade lead will slightly more likely give up the location of his potential spade Q. So, a spade lead is riskier. Still not active.

Thank you for the answer. The actual E-W hands at the table didn't give me any clue about the best lead because they didn't really correspond to the bidding.
E-W hands were something like:

(no lead could defeat the contract, but a H lead would have made it most difficult for declarer)

#4 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-04, 03:26

My first inclination here is to lead the 10 but I'm not sure how much better or worse it is than a heart. Maybe some advanced/expert posters could chime in on my thoughts below?

Given the bidding, I don't expect declarer to have more than 7 spades. Does leading the 10 help the defenders combat a squeeze more effectively? Additionally, should I be more worried about a squeeze or helping declarer finesse partner for a spade honor given my hand?

I suspect declarer will probably be able to guess the spade distribution pretty well once he starts running hearts and (judging from my hand) maybe clubs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users