Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBU current sys limitations

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-15, 08:06

Sorry, bit lazy asking this. Answer prob out there for the searching.
I have been out of F2F bridge for some years, but may rejoin presently. I would want to be playing a transfer Walsh style along the lines of Liggins/Crouch/Fawcett et al. This involves potentially opening 1C with longer D by design (in the extreme could have 5D).
Reading another thread in these Laws forums I gather that this practice (opening shorter minor) might limit the events that I could play in. Something about changing it from a ’green’ system to ’red’. What’s that all about and should I be worried?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 08:31

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-September-15, 08:06, said:

Sorry, bit lazy asking this. Answer prob out there for the searching.
I have been out of F2F bridge for some years, but may rejoin presently. I would want to be playing a transfer Walsh style along the lines of Liggins/Crouch/Fawcett et al. This involves potentially opening 1C with longer D by design (in the extreme could have 5D).
Reading another thread in these Laws forums I gather that this practice (opening shorter minor) might limit the events that I could play in. Something about changing it from a 'green' system to 'red'. What's that all about and should I be worried?

Green and red are WBF system classifications that are used in Scotland but not in England.

You will need to read the excellent Blue Book, but almost all EBU tournaments are run at Level 4 and playing a short club is fine. The EBU does not regulate responses to an opening bid. I would expect the same to be true at clubs and county events except for novice competitions.

All this presumes that your other opening bids are not too exotic.

(Your system would be classified red in Scotland but would not prevent you playing it in a competition).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-September-15, 14:52

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-September-15, 08:06, said:

Reading another thread in these Laws forums I gather that this practice (opening shorter minor) might limit the events that I could play in. Something about changing it from a ’green’ system to ’red’. What’s that all about and should I be worried?

Not in England.
1C = natural or balanced is fine is virtually any event (including if you like all 5332s in the 1C opening, not just those with long diamonds).
Any responses are permitted.

You can play virtually anything by way of 1-level openings as long as
- they all show 'normal', possibly light, opening bids ('rule of 18' or 11+ HCP except in 3rd seat)
- 1H and 1S show 4+ cards
- 1C and 1D are both any subset of {natural, 16+ any, balanced potentially including any 5422 or 5332s, balanced or unbalanced with the other minor}

(when I say 'virtually anything' this is a not entirely accurate summary of the current rules, but it's a good approximation)

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 11:02

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-September-15, 14:52, said:

- 1C and 1D are both any subset of {natural, 16+ any, balanced potentially including any 5422 or 5332s, balanced or unbalanced with the other minor}

Does this include 15+ balanced, or 15+ natural, or 18+ any (or an Acol 2 of any suit), Frances? (ie taking parts from different sections in the list)
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-September-16, 12:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-16, 11:02, said:

Does this include 15+ balanced, or 15+ natural, or 18+ any (or an Acol 2 of any suit), Frances?
(ie taking parts from different sections in the list)

Yes, as long as "15+ natural" does not include canape with a longer major.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-18, 08:19

View PostRMB1, on 2013-September-16, 12:28, said:

An important note here: the no "canape with a longer major" applies whichever minor you have - so if you play 1 strong, 1 nebulous, then your 1 opening cannot include 4 5+major. You can open 65 1, though.

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-18, 09:44

View PostRMB1, on 2013-September-16, 12:28, said:

Isn't this now encompassed by BB 7B1(iii)?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-September-18, 10:11

View Postgordontd, on 2013-September-18, 09:44, said:

Isn't this now encompassed by BB 7B1(iii)?

But you can't combine (iii) with (ii), whereas you can combine (i)+(ii).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users