• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Improving defence

#1 User is offline   gman_uk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-August-25, 06:20

Hi All,

I'm a looking at ways to improve defence with a regular partner and would appreciate any suggestions/comments in this area.

We play 2/1, use standard carding but use odd/even discards in all contracts. We also use suit preference signals where applicable.

I wondered if it would add any value if we switched to lavinthal discards for use against NT contracts. Has anyone had any experience using coded 9's + 10's or rusinow signals, do these add any value when defending contracts?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-25, 07:16

It matters little what you play, it's how you play that will make the difference so I suggest just playing methods that you are comfortable with (most of the expert community who have a very strong opinion play on teams where another pair will be playing something that they believe is wrong).

Trying to visualise the entire hand is key and, failing that, visualise some viable layouts where you can actually defeat the contract. As you have a regular partner, examining hands where you went wrong and asking other experienced players how you could've got it right is a big move in the right direction.

I am playing with a bright inexperienced junior next week and one of the things we are working on is visualisation. When we are defending, the first thing we'll do when dummy is exposed is guess how many HCP our partner holds - loser buys the cokes after the session.

Finally defence will never be easy - even world-class pairs go wrong a lot of the time.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-August-25, 08:51

Counting declarer's HCP, Shape, and tricks are key skills to master. Tools like signaling and leads are just ways to get information toward making defensive decisions. 4th best and standard work as well as anything else. Sure there are small advantages from playing Rusinow, upside down count and attitude, but they pale from sound analysis and translating facts into right actions.

Think hand type. Is an active or passive defense called for? Does declarer need to create tricks by ruffing in the short trump hand? Is a cross ruff likely? Do you hold the missing cards in dummy's long suit? Translating facts into a successful defense plan is the key.

There is too much to cover here on that point. Check out Eddie Kantar Teaches Advanced Bridge Defense. Any defense book by Kelsey is great. Lawrence, Bird, Root are also my favorites.

Opening leads depend strongly on whether you need an active or passive defense. Then there's the choice of suit. Only then does 3rd or 5th, 4th best, BOSTON, Rusinow or coded 9's and 10's come into play. Can you make the first two determinations accurately? If so you are well ahead of the field.

Can you identify frozen suits? Can you create a surround play? These are good techniques to understand. Can you defeat a squeeze? - masterful, yes, but by frequency a low likelihood to improve your everyday results.

Have you talked with partner about when attitude, count and suit preference signals come into play?

Net, understanding strategy, gathering facts, and communicating with partner deserve discussion in depth. Choice of tools is somewhat less important.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#4 User is offline   gman_uk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-August-26, 04:09

Thanks for your logical and informative comments guys.

Plenty food for thought!

Think it's time to bury my head in a few books that were mentioned.

May start the dummy hcp game as well, perhaps I can win a few cokes!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users