• You cannot reply to this topic

Alert or Not Alert?

#1 User is offline   visahouse 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-25, 00:30

System - SAYC.
My hand holds such cards - ххх AKQх Kххх хх

I open 1 without 1. My partner was not expecting this and thinks that I have 5 cards.
Need alert from me to opps or not?

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-25, 00:53

no, you don't need to alert.

#3 User is offline   visahouse 

• Pip

Posted 2013-July-25, 01:00

But TD added me in the blacklist and I can't play in his tourney.

This post has been edited by barmar: 2013-July-25, 08:04
Reason for edit: Removed name of TD

#4 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-25, 01:33

Sometimes that just means that the TD doesn't know what's going on. Suppose you held xx/AKQxx/Kxxx/xx and opened 1, and you alerted 1 as "Could be just 4 cards". Would the same TD blacklist you for false alerts? If so, he's asking that you tell your opponents exactly what you hold.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I wouldn't have chosen 1 on the hand myself, but I understand why you did.

#5 User is offline   visahouse 

• Pip

Posted 2013-July-25, 02:01

In case i make alert to opponents, they will have more information than my partner. But this contradicts the logic of the bridge. Then the opponents immediately show my cards?

for example, you have AKQх AKQx xxx xx. What you open? 1, 1NT or 1()?

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 03:08

online TDs often ignore the real bridge laws and invent their own. don't worry about them

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 03:46

View Postwank, on 2013-July-25, 03:08, said:

online TDs often ignore the real bridge laws and invent their own. don't worry about them

^^This. Also, if a TD is doing this, you don't want to play in his tourneys anyway.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-July-25, 04:07

As a TD I always started the tourney with the following tourney chat message: This is an indy so you have no agreements with partner that are not known to opps. So don't alert or explain anything and don't expect opps to alert or explain anything either.

This works well. It's a bit more complicated in pairs tourneys where some pairs will have agreements beyond the somewhat empty "we play SAYC" phrase. The TD can't know if you had an agreement with p to open 4-card major suits although if your stated system is SAYC most likely you don't have such an agreement.

But even if you had such an agreement it is not clear if it is alertable (did the TD say explicitly at the start of the tourney that 4-card major systems are alertable?)

Even if they are, it is quite harsh to blacklist someone for such a minor violation.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   visahouse 

• Pip

Posted 2013-July-25, 04:09

BBO tourney is very much, but the principle is important. Why force people to do absurd things?

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-July-25, 04:13

well it is not absurd to force people to disclose whether they agreed to play 4-card majors or 5-card majors. Maybe the TD thought that was all he was doing.

More likely he just doesn't like players who bid differently than he would do himself.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 07:12

If you could frequently open 1 on a 4 card suit while playing a nominally 5 card major system, your opponents deserve to have that disclosed imo.

#12 User is offline   guido 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 09:51

View PostTylerE, on 2013-July-25, 07:12, said:

If you could frequently open 1 on a 4 card suit while playing a nominally 5 card major system, your opponents deserve to have that disclosed imo.

I agree that is true if your partner knows your tendencies. If you are playing with a pick-up partner, then I think it is misleading -- you have no agreement either through discussion or history.

Also, if the only time you open with a 4-card major is when own something extreme (e.g., Axx-AKQJ-xxx-xxx) the alert would also be misleading, imho. Youo are bidding your 5-card major <grin>

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-25, 09:58

View Postvisahouse, on 2013-July-25, 01:00, said:

But TD added me in the blacklist and I can't play in his tourney.

You may thank this person in future, your game will be better for not playing these games :)
Next time if there is one, tell the person running the game (I refuse to call them tournaments or TD's) that it was a misclick or you thought you had 5. Unlike tactical bids, using your judgement or psyches, misclicks are often allowed.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#14 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 10:02

Frequently is one thing - AKQx is a different story. I wouldn't have opened that 1 either, but I probably would have opened xxx AKQx Kxx xxx or xxxx AKQx Kxx xx 1, and this isn't that far off.

Yeah, there are some TDs who believe "not the way I'd bid == psych". Avoid them.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   visahouse 

• Pip

Posted 2013-July-25, 23:12

Thanks all. This discussion is shows - I'm mostly right then TD. But he has more right in his tournament. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users