BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid? A third bite at the cherry?

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-27, 11:05

West's 2C was precision style. What do you do now, and what other bids do you seriously consider?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-February-27, 11:21

I would pass and see no real alternative. I thought about X, 4 Spade, 4 NT and 5 Diamonds, but I showed my hand and partner passed. Without any hesitation from the other side, X is a second choice.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-27, 11:33

I assume that, after breaking tempo, partner chose the correct call considering what I had shown. And yep, that's what I have. PASS.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-February-27, 11:39

I discussed this problem in some detail a few weeks ago.
When I first saw it my inclination was that it was close between pass and double.

My partner (who didn't know the history of the hand, unlike me) thought 4S was clearly right, with double a second choice. He pointed out partner could have Qx xxxx xxx xxxx or even xx xxxx Jxx Qxxx when at least one of 4S and 4H is probably making.

p.s. it also raises the question of what a 4D overcall of 2C would/should show, which might be relevant.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-February-27, 11:47

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-February-27, 11:39, said:

I discussed this problem in some detail a few weeks ago.
When I first saw it my inclination was that it was close between pass and double.

My partner (who didn't know the history of the hand, unlike me) thought 4S was clearly right, with double a second choice. He pointed out partner could have Qx xxxx xxx xxxx or even xx xxxx Jxx Qxxx when at least one of 4S and 4H is probably making.

p.s. it also raises the question of what a 4D overcall of 2C would/should show, which might be relevant.

If it was discussed on here, then I missed it, sorry. My partner would have passed, and I suggested to her that Qx of spades in a balanced hand might be enough for game, so it is interesting that your partner made the same point. I would have gone something like 4S 10 Double 8 Pass 5, so it will be good to see what others think.

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-27, 13:15

I am not passing either

#7 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-27, 15:59

View Postlamford, on 2013-February-27, 11:47, said:

If it was discussed on here, then I missed it, sorry. My partner would have passed, and I suggested to her that Qx of spades in a balanced hand might be enough for game, so it is interesting that your partner made the same point. I would have gone something like 4S 10 Double 8 Pass 5, so it will be good to see what others think.

If Qx and a balanced hand might be enough for game opposite, is it right to overcall 2 on this hand?

2 followed by 4 must be at least 5/5 and quite likely 6/5. However, I could easily have the same hand with a low heart instead of the ace, so I would back in with a double. I can imagine that pass might be a possibility for anyone who thinks that the bidding to date has shown this hand. I don't like 4 though. I've already told partner that I've got lots of spades and diamonds and yet partner chose not to compete further: why should I commit our side to declaring the hand? K98432 is not exactly a self-supporting suit.

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 01:30

I think that I have shown my hand and partner judged that it would be best to defend 4. Therefore, I would not bid 4. I would double, because I have fast tricks - something that my partner does not know.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 03:45

I think 4 is correct, and separates the wheat from the chaff.
It is true that you have shown already 5-5, but you are far too strong to give up and to expect your partner to bid 4 with a balanced yarborough is silly.
If you double a 4 bid will not be forthcoming when it is right.

This deal could easily be a double game swing (more likely than that neither game makes) and it is your duty to make sure that the right game makes.
4 is dangerous, but the rewards are high.

Rainer Herrmann

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-28, 04:10

I think that if we feel we are too weak to give up now at the 4 level then we probably misbid earlier unless constrained by system. I agree with Frances that the meanings of an initial 4m overcall are relevant here.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 04:41

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-February-28, 04:10, said:

I think that if we feel we are too weak to give up now at the 4 level then we probably misbid earlier unless constrained by system. I agree with Frances that the meanings of an initial 4m overcall are relevant here.

I do not see why 4m is relevant here.
What is relevant, is that your spades are six cards long. Two suiter bids usually do not tell which suit is six cards long.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 04:57

View Postrhm, on 2013-February-28, 04:41, said:

I do not see why 4m is relevant here.
What is relevant, is that your spades are six cards long. Two suiter bids usually do not tell which suit is six cards long.

Rainer Herrmann

You don't have 6 spades. Your spade length is about 4.5. That is good enough to overcall at the two level, because you have a good hand, but not good enough to rebid at the four level.

Furthermore, the meaning of an immediate 4 is relevant. If 4 would have been two-suited, it would have shown 5-5 (or 5-6). That means that the actual sequence doesn't show 5-5, but 6-5. In that case, it would be really bad to bid 4. (If an immediate 4 doesn't show a two-suiter, bidding 4 would merely be bad, not really bad.)

Note that if you double the bidding is not over yet. Partner may still chose to bid 4 or 5.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-February-28, 06:19

I'd double
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 06:59

I like double
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#15 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-February-28, 07:02

Of course it is important to know, what a direct 4 bid had shown.
If it is leaping michaels, I already showed 6/5 with some stuff in my sequence.
If it is not LM, I should bid 4 Spade to show a 6/5 hand.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 07:07

View PostMrAce, on 2013-February-28, 06:19, said:

I'd double

ATB

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 07:31

View Postrhm, on 2013-February-28, 07:07, said:

ATB

Rainer Herrmann

What, your big example is one where south forgot to pull the double with spade support and no heart tricks? Lol come on it should not be tough to do much better.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-February-28, 09:02

View Postlalldonn, on 2013-February-28, 07:31, said:

What, your big example is one where south forgot to pull the double with spade support and no heart tricks? Lol come on it should not be tough to do much better.

The arguments on this thread convince me that double is better than 4S. However, both will lead to partner correcting to the cold 5 as he has four-card diamond support. There was a BIT by South over 4 and the TD consulted several people and decided Pass was an LA and awarded an adjusted score of +420/+450 for EW. The AC overruled the poll and were of the opinion that North would always bid 4S. The L&E then criticised the AC for overruling the TD, as they felt greater weight should have been given to the poll that was conducted. I disagree with this view, as no appeal in UI cases would ever succeed if the AC always woodenly accepted the views of those polled. It was their duty to decide whether Pass was an LA for this particular North, and the poll is only a guide.

The full hand is on page 6 of http://www.ebu.co.uk...Jan%20draft.pdf for those that are interested.

#19 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 09:11

View Postlalldonn, on 2013-February-28, 07:31, said:

I do not consider a yarborough 3=4=3=3 support and if this is all my partner needs I expect him to bid the game himself, in particular when the opponents bidding have indciated the hand is no misfit.
I know it is easy to contract for 10 tricks with a yarborough when looking at all 4 hands.
I would contract for 4 tricks on defense.

Rainer Herrmann

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-28, 09:26

When I was first given this hand, I didn't look too deeply into it. I felt that I had told my story, and passed. I might well do this at the table too, though after reading this thread, I believe that it would have been the wrong thing to do.

I would not do this, however, if I were given the hand in a poll or as a member of an AC. I would give the matter more thought. It may be the case that polls and analysis by AC members does not accurately reflect what would have happened at the table.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users