• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unalerted double (EBU)

#81 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-22, 09:48

Interesting posts. I'll be thinking about them, and discussing things with David, in the next few days or weeks.

The link and reference suggestion by Aquahombre is a good one. The problem is that if you're in forum A and want to split off posts in thread A1 and move them to a new topic in forum B, you have to make a new thread, post your link and reference message, split off the messages from A1 to a temporary topic, and then merge them with your new topic, instead of just splitting off the messages to the new topic (which is what I did recently). Maybe there's a better way; I'll have to do some research.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#82 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 09:53

Just a question. Can you lock your new thread after making the OP, to allow the time required to transfer posts at your convenience and then unlock it?

This would avoid us jumping in with new stuff before you are finished.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#83 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-22, 10:13

That I can do, yes. I may even be able to transfer posts into a locked thread - I'll have to experiment.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#84 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 11:45

I think that splitting threads should only be done in real exceptional situations. In normal situations the "cost" of losing the context of the posts doesn't justify the gains.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#85 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 13:06

Moderator: please can you move the last seven off-topic posts into a new thread called "thread splitting"? Thanks.

#86 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-22, 18:10

Heh. No. Not right now, anyway.
--------------------

#87 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-24, 20:44

View Postjallerton, on 2013-February-22, 13:06, said:

Moderator: please can you move the last seven off-topic posts into a new thread called "thread splitting"? Thanks.

And move that one into a new thread called "discussion about which posts should be split". :)

#88 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-February-26, 10:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-February-19, 09:11, said:

Just out of curiosity: If 2 were not a 2-suited convention, but merely a mundane weak two, would EBU TD's entertain an adjustment at all?

True, the EBU rules on alerting doubles are what they are. But opposite a one-suited preempt with an intervening bid, double is penalty, rather than asking opener to bid a suit he doesn't have; and it would be a joke for the NOS to claim damage on a failure to alert.

We are considering playing double as a game try. See relevant comments in another thread.

What I dislike is the suggestion as always that we should see if we can avoid giving an adjustment because the non-offenders should do better.

If I open a fairly minimum hand, overcall, double, and I have 9x in the suit doubled, I have a fairly strong idea partner meant it as penalties before I pass. And if I have a strong idea it is penalties then I see no reason for sympathy for me if I do not alert.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users