• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

good clubs

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-12, 05:24

I had this hand a MP's
(Opps are weak, does that influence your bid?)

Maybe not interesting, but it is a freak.
What is your plan?
2NT: asking relay
3: , invitational for 3NT
4: asks to transfer to 6cM
5: natural

I choose 2NT and partner did bid 3: 6c and max weak 2.
What now?
4: to play
4: natural, forcing
5: voidwood for

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 07:12

My first thought was that the 2 opening was a typo, but upon reflection I assume it's multi. So I am sort of a naif in the woods here, since I don't play it. But I gather the 3, while it shows a non-minimum weak 2 holding, is necessarily not as fully descriptive as an Ogust 3 would be after a standard weak 2 sequence 2-2NT. With the multi, we have to sort out the suits, and that leaves less room to sort out suit quality. Is this right? It's far from clear to me that we can make game in anything. On the other hand, if partner has the Ace of hearts, the Ace of spades, and the opponents start with the AK of diamonds, I can make 6. I won't be planning on that.

From your description, after the 3 bid all roads lead to game. I guess spades. If I play 5 I have to do something with the two small spades, and if that can be done then quite possibly partner can make 4.

This is a view from a non-multi player.
Ken

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-12, 08:07

Slam is not on, partner would need both solid trumps and an outside ace, i.e. a 1M opener, to make it legitimately. At IMPs I might bother trying to figure out whether 4M or 5 is better; at MPs my first thought is to just bid 4 (asking for transfer) and hope partner has an entry and we can get some overtricks on suboptimal defense.

On further reflection I am strongly considering just 2 p/c; even if partner does have a club, a club lead is very likely and then I will be in trouble. Sometimes just going plus is an excellent way to rake in the matchpoints.

PS: Ken, if a bid is highlighted in yellow, click on it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-12, 09:00

Thank you for the tip about the highlight, I never realized that.

I also gave some thought to simply bidding 2, quite possibly it is right. If it is followed by three passes, we probably belong in 3 but we may benefit from opponents surely belonging in some number of spades. And if they come in with spades, I can bid my clubs with, I assume, little ambiguity. As it is, partner corrects to spades. This assumes my lho is silent over 2 which he well might be if they have not discussed a multi defense. Or, sometimes, even if they have. Partner bids 2, what are my options? I assume that he bids 2 whenever his suit is spades, regardless of suit quality. By any chance to I have any Ogust type inquiries available? I can imagine a variety of hands where I wish to be in 4 and another decent sized variety where I very definitely do not.

Btw. It was said that the opponents are weak. They aren't dead are they? Did you check for a pulse?
Ken

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-12, 10:22

At IMPS I would bid 5 over 2 with no second thoughts. At MP I would also bid 5 if we agreed to play sound preempts 1. seat, otherwise I would bid 3.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 11:11

Was the wrong hand posted earlier? If not, why is anyone entertaining the idea of playing a major suit contract?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-12, 12:01

Asking relay -> 4 -> 5 looks right. If partner has a min we're probably 50% at best to make 5. Even with a max partner doesn't necessarily have a bullet. Then again with 3 aces the opponents don't always figure out to cash them.

No one is mentioning 3NT? That's too bad. I was looking forward to receiving a diamond lead and then chuckling when they make a club switch through dummy's void at trick 2.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#8 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 12:26

Omg lol. I have a solid 9 card suit! I don't try to stop in 3. I don't look for major suit games. I don't worry about the vul or form of scoring. I bid 5! What has happened to bridge lately?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-12, 12:37

View Postlalldonn, on 2013-January-12, 12:26, said:

Omg lol. I have a solid 9 card suit! I don't try to stop in 3. I don't look for major suit games. I don't worry about the vul or form of scoring. I bid 5! What has happened to bridge lately?

Some guys will do anything to get to be declarer. :)
Ken

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-January-12, 14:10

lalldonn said it before me. I have a solid 9-card club suit. Why would I not bid 5C?

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 17:14

So are the 5 bidders planning to make this? What hands are you hoping for partner to have? Or do you assume it's impossible to go plus on this hand anyway?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-January-12, 17:34

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-12, 17:14, said:

So are the 5 bidders planning to make this? What hands are you hoping for partner to have? Or do you assume it's impossible to go plus on this hand anyway?

It's much more likely to make than 4M for sure! Anyway, do you never open a weak two with an ace?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#13 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 17:36

We are not the only side that can have a game on this hand! But if you insist on a game, how about AK of spades?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#14 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:06

Maybe I'm just innocent, but I think not bidding 5C is over-thinking the hand.
We have no idea who is making what: it's quite possible that the opponents have slam on.
Perhaps posters are biased by knowing that if we respond 2NT we will have an uncontested auction.

#15 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:26

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-12, 09:00, said:

I also gave some thought to simply bidding 2, quite possibly it is right. If it is followed by three passes, we probably belong in 3 but we may benefit from opponents surely belonging in some number of spades. And if they come in with spades, I can bid my clubs with, I assume, little ambiguity. As it is, partner corrects to spades. This assumes my lho is silent over 2 which he well might be if they have not discussed a multi defense. Or, sometimes, even if they have. Partner bids 2, what are my options? I assume that he bids 2 whenever his suit is spades, regardless of suit quality. By any chance to I have any Ogust type inquiries available? I can imagine a variety of hands where I wish to be in 4 and another decent sized variety where I very definitely do not.
After 2-2-2 we only agreed:
3=preemptive
2NT=invites 4

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-12, 09:00, said:

Btw. It was said that the opponents are weak. They aren't dead are they? Did you check for a pulse?
I checked their pulse and didn't feel it. But I'm no doctor, so possibly I could have missed it.

#16 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:35

Lead was small .
I played 3 round of , discarding from N, 3th ruffed by LHO with A.
LHO returned a small for RHO's Q, followed by K ruffed.
I could now make +1, but was happy with contract.
...warned you that opps are weak!
I wanted to verify if my bidding was ok, and from the answers it doesn't look like.

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 05:48

View Postcherdano, on 2013-January-12, 17:34, said:

It's much more likely to make than 4M for sure! Anyway, do you never open a weak two with an ace?

Sure I do, I just don't see how just one ace is letting us make...
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users