• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Emblems of Untimely Graves ATB

#21 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-08, 06:30

Agree with pretty much everyone that West screwed up early by not bidding 2NT and then declined to show an A and Q worth of his/her points.

I would take West's bidding to show 4-5 at least so maybe E should have bid 4 over 3 but then things might get really messed up.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#22 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-October-08, 06:39

I was East, partner was a bot. I would have bid 1S-2C-4S with a human partner, but I've had bad luck with that sequence in the past sitting opposite GIB. Obviously the whole auction is somewhat tainted by my failure to make the most descriptive rebid, but I was curious about two things on the auction as shown:

1. Should West bid more strongly, esp. after 3S? (I think yes)
2. Should East bid more strongly after 3H, given that there seems to be a double (or even triple) fit? (I think yes)

At the table I decided "no" on #2 because I took partner's sequence with a large grain of salt. It seems like GIB will often do this with a balanced hand, and I thought that over the range of hands that GIB would bid like this, it was likely that spades would play as well as or better than clubs. Plus I really wanted to play the hand.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#23 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-08, 06:58

Late to the party, but my thoughts, mostly already stated by others:

east has an alternative opening (4) but 1 is fine. Having chosen to open 1, I see no reason to jump to 4 on any subsequent call. If it's a preempt, it's a preempt on opening.
east has an ideal rebid of 3 over 2 but only if that is in the system.
west should rebid 2NT. 3 would also be better than 3.
east should bid 4 over 3. Kxx in partner's 2/1 suit should not be suppressed after already rebidding spades.
west should make a stronger call over 3. He still has not shown his values. A good 18, and no interest in slam opposite an opening bid?

Overall I give about 80% west, 20% east.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#24 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 08:07

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-October-06, 14:49, said:

East 75%.

4 instead of 2 and 4 instead of 3.

I think I like this option where Responder's 4S rebid ( over the 2/1 GF ) shows a max preemptive hand that was flawed for a 4S opening .. such as a high outside honor :

1S - 2C
4S - 6S

[ I don't like 3S over 2C, because that shows a stronger hand, sets trumps and demands cue-bids. ]
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#25 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-October-08, 10:12

The first two calls were flawless. Every other call can be criticized to some degree.

I also can't tell you exactly how I'd bid it, other than West has an obvious 2N call over 2, and East needs to convey better trump.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users