Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 boards from teams

#1 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-20, 05:01

I want to share my experience with some boards i saw in vugraph. Maybe you have something to add for discussion.

Lauria-Versace were the only ones who didn't get to 4 despite 2 pairs opening this in 3. The bidding [P]- pass - [1] wasn't a popular one and repeated only once, but East (Balicki) found a 1 in the same situation. Would you have found it?

I think this was an interesting deal both system and judgement wise. I don't know what 2NT meant, but double was presumably was some good raise. There was only one other pair who X-ed. It was already mentioned Balicki - Zmudzinski who had the same auction, but they ended up in 3, but it was still +6 IMPs. Most other pairs who bid 2N or 3 (Like Helgemo - Helness) ended up in 4-1. Some went went for more cautions immediate 2 (like Wijs - Muller and Nystrom - Upmark). I remember reading about this auction in Revision club and author gave quite good arguments why X should be some raise, interesting why other pairs haven't adopted the same treatment..

Let it be 3.

North basically has 12-14 balanced. In other tables bidding started also with 1N and 1. Helgemo-Helness faced auction in diagram and passed in tempo. Balicki faced [1] - 1 - [4] and doubled. At least one other pair faced [1]- 1 - [4] and bid 4. How do you plan to handle this hand?
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-20, 06:04

1. I like the 1S reopening, especially as a passed hand. I'm short in diamonds so I'd like to compete. Being 5-4 in the majors the chance of pushing them to a game is small. To be honest the reason for bidding 1S is not the fear of missing a game.

2. I know people who double here with invitational 3-card raises but the double does not show 3-card support. Maybe it is good to play the double as a good 3-card raise though, but you'd be stuck on some other hands. The 3NT bid looks pushy but good.

3. This is a very uncomfortable situation, and I would have been in it as well. It's a crap shoot between pass and 4S, I would never double. 4S feels wrong.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-20, 06:09

I cannot understand Pass as west AT ALL on the first one. You have a clear 1NT or X-then-1NT, surely?

Second one - if playing 2NT in competition as takeout then X here makes sense as a spade raise since you "no longer need a responsive X" (in basic systems the X here is normally something like Ax xxx Kxxx Qxxx, is it not?). But the real issue of getting too high if West shows a good spade raise suggests that perhaps in these days of light 1-level overcalls, perhaps you need a bit more than a 5332 with ropey 5-card suit to make the bid? Or maybe East should take it easy with his 5332 and ropey trumps, I don't know.

Third one - do you mean (1D)-1S-(4H)-p; p-? To be honest I think I'll just bid 4S anyway - 4H may well make, but regardless of whether or does it not 4S rates to be cheap (if it's even down).

ahydra

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-20, 06:47

I am also surprised by west's pass over 1 on the first hand. I hesitate to second guess Lauria or Versace, but I admit looking at just the hand I would rate x, 1NT, or 1 above pass.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-June-20, 09:15

1. As Lauria Versace outplay and outbid us by far, they will have their reasons. I try to guess:
If East shows a strong NT, his most likely score will be 2 spade after a transfer sequence or 1 NT. Will this outscore 1 Diamond - 2 if West - who surely has short diamonds- is unable to enter the bidding? But if he passes, a lot of good things can happen- they can still reach game, they can reach 1 doubled....

And West may has other standards for a reopening then some posters here. So I guess we should overthink our standards...

Board 7: Great performance by e/w.

Last hand: I may had doubled after (1 ) 1 (4 ) pass (pass) but not now.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-20, 09:44

On the second one I thought it was a common trick to overload the responsive double to show a balanced 3-card limit raise.
On the third, is this hand too strong to preempt after the opponents open the bidding?

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-22, 06:26

Not fond of passing 1D. The 2 bids of choice for me are 1N and 1H. Should I happen to end up defending S a H is the lead I want to see. I think the 1H o/c has the most going for it.

Double is t/o and is responsive in nature and best by a long shot as there are all sort of weaker hands that would bid 2S.

I would hate to have this 3rd hand early in a match. The colors are teasing me between 1S and a heavy 2S over the club opening. I would usually bid 1S, pass there after.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users