• You cannot reply to this topic

Strong Club Systems Ricco van Prooijen / Louk Verhees

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-June-15, 00:27

These guys have interesting methods for their 2 and 2 bids which seem to be an improvement (well to me anyhow) on the standard Precision bids.

In standard Precision 2 shows 6X or 5X and a 4-card major, 11-15 HCP. These guys have flipped it as follows: 2 in their system shows 6X or 4+ and 5X, 10(11)-15 HCP. They’ve done something similar with their 2 bid which shows: 5X and 4+/, 10(11)-15 HCP. Their 1 and 1 bids show one of the following hand patterns –
1. 5M332 10-15 HCP
2. 4M and 5 any other suit 10-15 HCP
3. 6M 10-15 HCP

What do others think of this treatment?

#2 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-15, 00:51

It's not a treatment, it's a necessity because of the system. Because they play possible canapé, hands that have 5-4+, 5-4+, and 5-4+ can't be bid like the rest of us (standard). Therefore, they use 2 opening to cover the Heart-Diamond hands, 2 opening for the Heart-Club hands, and throw the Spade-Club hands into 2. I will admit that I'm not an expert on canapé systems, but after studying some of the Caroline Club (look it up on Bridge with Dan), here are my conclusions.

NEGATIVES - You lose the uniformity of the 2 bid. When opening 2 you could be forcing the partnership too high, and you lose out when non-canapé goes 1-1; 2-2 or 1-2; 3 with 1-5-3-4. The 2 opening mean you lose out on a natural Weak 2 (or Precision 2, see below), and since 2 is used, you can't play Multi 2, which means you lose out on Polish Two-suiters or whatever as well. The possible canapé also hurts a little bit in constructive GF auctions because exact shape can be difficult (whether it be 4-card or 5-card Majors, the average length is around 5 for both).

NEUTRAL - 1 can be opened when you have 0 or 1 Diamonds. This hurts some competitive auctions as well as constructive auctions where Diamonds is a potential suit. This can also pick off the opponents' suit, and misunderstandings can occur. I view this as a slight negative overall, but put it here to gather further opinions.

POSITIVES - You can mention your Major immediately, which can pick off the opponent's suit. It also has a slight preemptive value, and in competition where you have 5+ of a minor and 4 Hearts, you can find the Heart fit before they get you too high. Most opponents will be unfamiliar with your methods, and that can produce a slight advantage. Because the canapé is played with an always Strong Club, you can blast contracts a little more often (I think).

This should cover most of it; there might be one or two more in either column, but I can't think of any more and I'm heading to bed after posting this. Check out the link for more about all of this (I disagree about him saying Polish Club is best, but everything else is great) - http://dcrcbridge.bl...earch/label/DBT

EDIT - JLall is probably the best person to ask about this system, I know he played against that pair a few times recently in the Bermuda Bowl (Round-robin and finals).
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#3 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2012-June-15, 01:11

Experienced Precision players have found that opening 2 with 6 without a second suit is superior to including a 2nd suit in the opening.

It is true that 5M + 4 hands are difficult to show in the 11-15 hcp range. One solution is to rebid 2NT after opening 1M to show 15 hcp and this distribution.

Hands with 4 are less of a problem and are opened 1 if you intend to show both suits (i.e.: x KQTxx KQxx Axx).

Another approach (Ekebland - Rubin [edited]) was to give up weak two bids in the majors and have 2M = 10-14 hcp and 5M332 hands or a poor 6-cd suit without a void or singleton. Thus, if the major is never rebid it is only 4-cds and if it is rebid it is 6-cds.

For a complete theoretical treatment [canape - added 6/15/12] see Ken Rexfords http://cuebiddingatb...ape-system.html
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-June-15, 04:00

edited out...
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-15, 15:56

View PostPrecisionL, on 2012-June-15, 01:11, said:

Experienced Precision players have found that opening 2 with 6 without a second suit is superior to including a 2nd suit in the opening.

Many experienced players feel it better to include 6/4s with 2C than put pressure on other openings.

#6 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-15, 17:24

View Poststraube, on 2012-June-15, 15:56, said:

Many experience players feel it better to include 6/4s with 2C than put pressure on other other openings.

+1 -- IIRC, even modern versions of Moscito include a 4 (unbiddable?) card major side suit in a 6+ 2 opening.
foobar on BBO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users