BBO Discussion Forums: Hand from the Norwegian team trials - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hand from the Norwegian team trials

Poll: Hand from the Norwegian team trials (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Redouble - another operation (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 1NT - yet another operation (2 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. 2 Spades - a semi-operation (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 3 Spades (8 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

6. 4 Spades (17 votes [60.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.71%

7. Other (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-May-27, 02:31

:P Teams. IMP's. Playing 2/1. The match is about at midpoint and close. They are vul, we are not. LHO passes. Partner opens 1. RHO doubles. You hold:

K9762
Q9

What do you do?

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 03:41

I think in Norway they get away your license if you bid something less agressive than 4

All vul or unfavourable I´d bid 3 only, nobody vul I don´t know, but here its 4

EDIT: If I was "operating" I´d bid 2

#3 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-May-27, 23:09

:P If there were ever a hand that was safe to operate with, this was it. You are always willing to end in 4 if things get messy.
K9xxx
Q9
8xxx
xx
Your hand is really not that good for offense - no stiff or void - the deadly Q, worthless on offense, but a possible defensive trick. Unless pard has extras, the opps may have a game. I think it is time to get creative.

At the table, the Norwegian bid an unimaginative 4. His LHO, who was a passed hand, held:

10xx
Axxx
x
A98xx

Playing his partner for a void, he/she bid 4NT showing two places to play and a really good (but limited by the original pass) hand. The next hand passed, and the original doubler was looking at:

void
Kxxx
KQJ9
KQ10xx

He/she jumped to six clubs - all pass - making six.

Blasting with 3 or 4 may work against the typical duplicate field, but this was the Norwegian national team trials.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-28, 17:02

i prefer my operations to not overly lie about my
overall strength since p will rarely be in on the
joke (what is 6c x making?)

i chose 1n since it doenst lie about power. If p has extra
values nothing can go wrong. If p is min then we have a ton
less defense than normal and we have to hope the opps misjudge
how high they need to go.

4s might work if you are going to jump maybe 5s is better but
is is still a guess and may be preemting p (same with 4s) vs
the opps. With any luck the 1n bid might cause some concern
among the opps about their p having wasted spade values.

i am curious though if p cannot x 6c why didnt we bid 6s? we have
zero defense surely we can score 7 tricks on offense (hmmm I wonder
if driving them to 7 is a good idea :)))))))))))))))))))))))

Welcome to no limit holdem i mean bridge.

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 09:18

View Postjdeegan, on 2012-May-27, 23:09, said:

Blasting with 3 or 4 may work against the typical duplicate field, but this was the Norwegian national team trials.

You might just as easily say "Operating with 2 may work against the typical duplicate field, but this was the Norwegian national team trials."

The better the opponents, the better they will be able to use the room that you are giving them.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-May-30, 09:41

View Postjdeegan, on 2012-May-27, 02:31, said:

:P Teams. IMP's. Playing 2/1. The match is about at midpoint and close. They are vul, we are not. You hold: K9762 Q9 8452 42
LHO passes. Partner opens 1. RHO doubles. What do you do?
IMO 4 = 10, 1N = 9, Pass = 8, 2 = 7, 3 = 6, 2 = 5. I admire gszes' 1N :)

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 09:49

I actually have a possible bid for this, an impossible 3nt.

It is revealed as such after somebody doubles and I run and says I want to sac at a higher level but only if you do too as we may go for too many.

Not at all clear what would happen next but they might park it in game or pard might take the dive in 6.

We usually only trot this out over something like 3 - double where 3nt doesn't lose any preemptive value in a hand where they are going to bid 4 of a major and 5 may be way too high.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 15:17

Only 2 bids come to mind, 4 and redouble (I had 7 to the 10 and a 4 count last time I tried this, and it went 1-X-XX-P-P and got pulled after a 5 minute tank, so I bid 4 for +590).

In this case it may be difficult to diagnose this and I wouldn't be surprised if they subsided in 4 or 5.

#9 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-31, 07:46

I played in this tournament (it was the Norwegian teams finals, not team trials) and here I agreed 100% with partners 4. The opponents (the eventual winners, but we won this match) then played in 5. The original doubler did not jump over his partners 4NT, which my teammates did to bid the making slam.

Interestingly I also had almost an identical hand in the same tournament (Kxxxx, xxx, Qx, xxx) after partners 1 opening and a takeout double. I jumped to 4 and this time we won the board because next-hand opponent bid 5 instead of a "2 places to play 4NT". In practice they had 10 tricks in their 4-4 heartfit and 11 in their 5-5 diamondfit (without a double-dummy underlead of AQJxxx of spades which would enable us to avoid a later endplay).

Edit: I would be on lead against 5 diamonds and after a relatively natural lead of the spade K I should find the club-shift, so 4NT may not have improved the score.

In our Premier Leauge earlier this year (also against the winners of the team finals) the bidding also startet the same way (pass - 1 - Double), but then my hand was much stronger (A98xx, Q9xx, Txx, Q). I probably was a bit to strong for my choice (also 4), but we still managed to bid to our laydown slam (when given the chance I naturally raised partners invitational 5 to 6).

This weekend I also held Qxx, T87xx, xxx, AJ and heard partner open a five+ heart (all vul). This hand is is very different in texture and there was no double, so I only bid a constructive raise. Next hand bid 2 and opponents eventually finished in 4 down one (makeable on a very doubledummy line), while we had only 7-8 tricks in hearts.

John

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-May-31, 08:14

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-May-30, 09:49, said:

I actually have a possible bid for this, an impossible 3nt. It is revealed as such after somebody doubles and I run and says I want to sac at a higher level but only if you do too as we may go for too many. Not at all clear what would happen next but they might park it in game or pard might take the dive in 6. We usually only trot this out over something like 3 - double where 3nt doesn't lose any preemptive value in a hand where they are going to bid 4 of a major and 5 may be way too high.
IMO, you should disclose this to opponents. After a third-in-hand minor pre-empt, Andrew Robson also suggests a simlar conventional 3N reply (rules- permitting). It shows a hand that is full value for a five-level sacrifice, provided partner has his bid. It's a kind of psych-control (like Drury), in case partner is messing around.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-31, 09:25

View Postnige1, on 2012-May-31, 08:14, said:

IMO, you should disclose this to opponents. After a third-in-hand minor pre-empt, Andrew Robson also suggests a simlar conventional 3N reply (rules- permitting). It shows a hand that is full value for a five-level sacrifice, provided partner has his bid. It's a kind of psych-control (like Drury), in case partner is messing around.

We do alert this as the 3nt bid after a takeout double is a bit of a red flag. We say it is either to play or inviting a higher level sac with reservations (rare or not) and depending on the colours our opps have always taken the correct inference.

It's a rare bid and most commonly happens in response to a 3rd seat pre-empt that gets doubled where the intent is very clear.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users