BBO Discussion Forums: Follow-ups after transfer to a minor - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Follow-ups after transfer to a minor

#1 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:12

After a 1NT opening and a transfer to a minor with either 2 or 2NT, what should responder's second bid mean? We play that opener accepts with a good support and bids the cheapest bid with bad support.

Looking at different sources, for example 1NT - 2; 3 - 3 would either be natural with 6-4 or a splinter. What is standard? What is best? Other opinions?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:14

It appears to be expert consensus that a new suit by responder shows shortness. This can be a warning against playing in 3NT with a weak holding opposite the shortness or it can be a slam try (or both).

I am not sure whether this is the best method or not. The important thing is that both partners are playing the same method.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:16

This depends on the rest of your structure. If you are using the transfers for one-suited hands and handle 4M5m hands through Stayman then it is probably best for the rebid to show shortage; many expert pairs use this method. If (like me) you handle one suited hands a different way and do not pass the 4M5m hands through Stayman then the rebid should show a second suit, either directly or (as I do) via a transfer. There is no best answer here imho, it just depends how you want to structure your responses.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:16

Standard around here is that 3 shows shortness. You can also play 3 shows a 4-6, but this creates the need for other agreements (how does opener agree hearts? and how does this auction differ from 1N - 2 - 2 - 3?).
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:54

As indicated, you cannot answer in a vacuum. I play Phil's auction of 1N - 2 - 2 - 3 as strong showing clubs (presumably 5+) and hearts. Of course partner doesn't have hearts, but it still shows hearts because if I had clubs only I would have begun with 2 rather than 2. Some play the sequence 1N - 2 - 2 - 3 as weak. I think Bergen recommends this.

I think that sorting out the Stayman bids and the follow-ups are the first order of business. These come up much more often. Then, or at the same time but letting Stayman be the main issue, sort through the single minor suit slam tries. I guess one thing that I have not given much thought to is the hand where I have five or six clubs, no stiff, no four card side suit, and slam invitational values. I can't bid my stiff if I don't have one so I suppose I transfer to clubs and bid 4NT.

Anyway, I also think a frequent treatment is
1N - 2 - 2 - 3 is strong with hearts and clubs,
1N - 2 - 2 - 3 is strong with spades and clubs, (and then 3 shows the spades in opener's hand of course)
so 1N - 2 - 3(or the super accept 2N) -3 is clubs, a stiff heart, and strong,

Seems good enough.
Ken

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 14:51

View Postkenberg, on 2012-April-26, 10:54, said:

1N - 2 - 2 - 3 is strong with hearts and clubs,

I've never played this way, as I transfer to clubs then bid hearts. But I like the idea of the latter sequence being heart shortage, which presumably means playing the method you quote. I take it then, that 1NT 2 2 3 is strong with hearts and diamonds x45x. At the moment, this sequence is for me "Stayman in doubt" with a 3433 shape. Has this convention now bitten the dust?

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-April-27, 15:17

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-April-27, 14:51, said:

Has this convention now bitten the dust?

It got moved to 3.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-27, 16:56

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-April-27, 14:51, said:

I've never played this way, as I transfer to clubs then bid hearts. But I like the idea of the latter sequence being heart shortage, which presumably means playing the method you quote. I take it then, that 1NT 2 2 3 is strong with hearts and diamonds x45x. At the moment, this sequence is for me "Stayman in doubt" with a 3433 shape. Has this convention now bitten the dust?

I do play this as diamonds and hearts, yes. I had never heard of the other way but I can see the merit.

I have no strong views on what is best.
Ken

#9 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-April-29, 21:15

Some people play that both transfer to a minor then bidding a major AND stayman then bidding a minor show 5+ in the minor and 4 in the major, but that stayman then minor shows invitational values (where you would rather play 3-minor than 2NT if opener rejects) and transfer to minor then bidding major shows a game force.

e.g.

1NT 2
3 3 = 5+ clubs, 4+ hearts, game force

1NT 2
2 3 = 5+ clubs, 4 hearts, invitational - opener considers fit with minor/major to be a reason for upgrading, and considers they probably have a singleton diamond [singleton spade might have bid 2NT]
I Transfers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users