BBO Discussion Forums: Dispatch from he Front #3 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dispatch from he Front #3

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-February-24, 12:46

You hold:

LHO opens 1S, RHO responds 2D, and the opponents conduct a tortured auction wherein LHO shows long spades, minimum values, and possibly a club control (ambiguous), RHO shows a secondary heart suit and eventually blasts to 6NT without asking for aces/keycards. (I'm not including the actual auction because A. I don't fully remember it, and B. the opps freely admitted afterwards that they had no idea what they were doing, they lost their way after about the third round.) So: do you lead a high spade in the hopes that partner has an ace, or do you think that's more likely to blow a tempo and set up declarer's road suit? FWIW these are good opponents, this was just not their finest bidding hour.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-24, 13:31

I'll lead the club ten.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-24, 13:37

I'll lead a low diamond. No MP considerations here, since I don't have any idea where the field will be. I just want to beat it. My general sense is that a passive lead is probably right on this auction, and I want RHO to have to work (/blow up entries) to develop the spades.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 22:00

The card i will never lead would be honor.

But my leads sux :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 22:23

Agree that a passive lead is called for, but am not sure leading away from an unsupported jack in declarer's main suit = passive.

Partner seems marked with heart length; I lead the passive 2.

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-25, 04:53

I do not understand, why a diamond or a heart are called a passive lead but a spade is not...
The downside of the spade lead is that it may blows a tempo, the upside is that it could be the only way to defeat the contract in case partner has a high card somewhere.
A diamond blows a tempo too without many upsides...

I guess I lead a high spade, second choice a club.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#7 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-25, 05:35

If the opponents are sane then pards has very little, I have 8, opener a minimum and responder drives to 6nt, most likely on diamond length but also at least 16HCPs. Don't think partner can have a K, best to hope for is a Q and that declarer has to make some tough choices.

I reckon a might be the best passive lead. If pards has the Q we have a trick and if he is devoid of an honour, declarer likely has AKQxxx and we've probably not given up a trick. A club just feels likely to run to declarers KJ and give up a trick.

#8 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-25, 12:56

The high spade lead seems terrible. LHO showed long spades and RHO has the other 3 suits; it would not be a surprise to catch them with AJT9xx opposite a stiff where the spade lead gives them the whole suit for one loser. If I were going to lead a spade a low one seems much better.

The low diamond lead also seems terrible. RHO has primary diamonds and LHO didn't support them or cuebid them - he probably doesn't have an honor. Would it be a surprise to find diamonds are stiff opposite AKQ9x where the low diamond pickles partner's ten? If I were going to lead a diamond I would lead the jack.

I guard the spades to my left, partner guards the hearts to his left - this is starting to look like a double squeeze around the club suit. I think if I lead a heart declarer might be able to duck a diamond and squeeze us, so I will try a club lead and hope that partner has the jack.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-25, 14:38

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-February-24, 13:31, said:

I'll lead the club ten.

Me too. Granted I'm not at the table and there are a few gaps in the OP like the full auction but lho has shown an "ambiguous" club control and pard only needs the jack to survive this with no damage and every other suit could blow multiple tricks and/or tempo.

Maybe I should lead the Q but the ambiguous club control could be the stiff A or K as opposed to the J.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-08, 08:30

bump for results?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#11 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-March-08, 09:42

View Postwyman, on 2012-March-08, 08:30, said:

bump for results?

I led the 10 and declarer rolled up 12 tricks. South apologized, halfway sincerely, after the hand; he threw in a club bid to try and inhibit a club lead, I went ahead and led one anyway, and it's the only lead to hand the contract to declarer on a silver platter! There may be squeeze chances on other leads too, I haven't studied it very closely. Just wondered if there was a case to be made for a high spade here.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users