BBO Discussion Forums: Dealing with Announcements and non-Announcements - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dealing with Announcements and non-Announcements Split from the "Conflicting infractions" thread

#41 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-26, 18:38

View PostCoelacanth, on 2012-January-26, 15:36, said:

The only change that came into effect on 1 January is that on the GCC it is no longer legal to play an artificial defense over the 4432 short club. In other words, a non-forcing 1 opener that may be as short as two cards is explicitly defined as natural for the purpose of which defenses are permitted.

This regulation is wrong in so many ways. And it worries me because even though it doesn't affect me personally, where the ACBL go the world tends to follow. See, eg, "could be short".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#42 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-26, 19:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-26, 18:38, said:

This regulation is wrong in so many ways. And it worries me because even though it doesn't affect me personally, where the ACBL go the world tends to follow. See, eg, "could be short".

Actually the regulation ---the scope of which is accurately stated by Coelacanth --- is just fine. It simply eliminates the excuse some pairs had for using a Mid Chart defense against what has always been considered by players to be a fairly natural opening bid....the choice to open 1 with a balanced hand which contains no five-card major and only 3 diamonds.

The players who still use this very specific 4-4-3-2 "short club" dwindle in number as they progress in skill. It is not a big deal with extended ramifications; it might be a mild annoyance to the even smaller group of pairs who had jumped on the opportunity to confound and confuse the little old ladies who play short club.

Experienced pairs who have other uses for the short (perhaps shorter than 2) club, are still subject to Mid Chart defenses.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#43 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-26, 19:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-January-26, 19:07, said:

It simply eliminates the excuse some pairs had for using a Mid Chart defense against what has always been considered by players to be a fairly natural opening bid....the choice to open 1 with a balanced hand which contains no five-card major and only 3 diamonds.

Humpty Dumpty would like this definition of "natural". What players consider does not have to be enshrined in regulation if it is in fact wrong; this is another example of the players' tail wagging the ACBL regulatory dog.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#44 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 20:12

Wouldn't be the first time the ACBL has imposed a "Humpty Dumpty" definition. See, for example, "strong".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#45 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-27, 03:34

The players who still use this very specific 4-4-3-2 "short club" dwindle in number as they progress in skill.

Does the regulation not cover those who open 1 on 3=3=5=2?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#46 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-27, 03:40

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-26, 19:19, said:

Humpty Dumpty would like this definition of "natural". What players consider does not have to be enshrined in regulation if it is in fact wrong; this is another example of the players' tail wagging the ACBL regulatory dog.

Isn't a good thing that the people who administer bridge are responsive to the wishes of the members?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#47 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-27, 04:30

View Postgnasher, on 2012-January-27, 03:40, said:

Isn't a good thing that the people who administer bridge are responsive to the wishes of the members?

Yes, in general; but as I mentioned I worry that the ACBL will impose its will on others (is there anyone outside of the US who thinks that saying "having none" is a good idea or even that it is not cheating?)

Leaving that issue aside, the ACBL could have achieved their intention in some other way than by calling an opening in one's shortest suit "natural"; there seems no good reason to distort the meaning of that word. The fact that a method is popular does not mean that it is natural. Does it mean that it should be protected? I guess, but where does it end? The ACBL are already pretty far removed from the rest of the world where system regulations are concerned; it would be a shame if two very different, mutually incompatible, forms of the game were to develop.

#48 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-27, 05:10

Humpty Dumpty meets Chicken Little.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#49 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-27, 08:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-27, 04:30, said:

(is there anyone outside of the US who thinks that saying "having none" is a good idea or even that it is not cheating?)

No, of course it's not cheating. It's explicitly permitted by the rules.

As for whether it's a good idea to allow it, I think it has both advantages and disadvantages. It reduces the number of established revokes, which means that a higher proportion of results are bridge results rather than absurd artefacts of the rules. Against that, it can create UI problems, though in my experience this is uncommon.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#50 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-27, 09:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-26, 17:10, said:

What I said was that "could be as short as two", which is what Flader said you should announce, is not in accordance with the regulation, which says the proper announcement is "may be short". This has nothing much to do with the change to the GCC. As for the 4=4=4=1 1 opening, if it is systemically not forcing, it requires the same announcement as the 4=4=3=2 hand: "may be short". Only if it is systemically forcing is "alert" correct.

Again, I think the distinction between "could be as short as two" and "may be short" is not particularly meaningful and is more likely down to careless editing of the notice in the Bulletin than anything else.

I have always been told that a non-forcing, ostensibly natural 1 or 1 call that may be a singleton (or void!) is an alert, not an announcement. On checking the Alert Chart this is not made explicit, so perhaps I am mistaken. I will ask Mr. Flader for a clarification when I see him tomorrow.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#51 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 09:42

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-27, 04:30, said:

Leaving that issue aside, the ACBL could have achieved their intention in some other way than by calling an opening in one's shortest suit "natural"; there seems no good reason to distort the meaning of that word. The fact that a method is popular does not mean that it is natural.

It is non-forcing and is, in fact, an offer to play the contract of 1. I don't think this is a massive distortion of the word natural.

Someone did a frequency analysis and figured out that only some small percentage (I don't remember the exact figures, but it was on the order of 10% or less) of 1 bids will be a doubleton using this method. The "may be short" 1 opener is much more likely to be a 4-card or longer suit.

I'll grant you that 1-All Pass is a very infrequent auction. (In fact, it's so rare that I always ask for a review of the bidding when I am on lead against it. :lol: ) Infrequent is not the same as impossible, however, and a 1 bid which shows the willingness to declare 1 seems "natural" enough to me.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#52 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-27, 11:51

View PostCoelacanth, on 2012-January-27, 09:25, said:

I have always been told that a non-forcing, ostensibly natural 1 or 1 call that may be a singleton (or void!) is an alert, not an announcement. On checking the Alert Chart this is not made explicit, so perhaps I am mistaken. I will ask Mr. Flader for a clarification when I see him tomorrow.

Or you could read the alert procedure. B-) IAC, it'll be interesting to hear what he says.

View PostCoelacanth, on 2012-January-27, 09:42, said:

Someone did a frequency analysis and figured out that only some small percentage (I don't remember the exact figures, but it was on the order of 10% or less) of 1 bids will be a doubleton using this method. The "may be short" 1 opener is much more likely to be a 4-card or longer suit.

IIRC, the someone, or one someone, was George Rosenkranz, and he reported the result in one or two of his "Romex" books. I don't have them handy, though, and I don't remember the exact figures either.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#53 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-27, 13:45

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-27, 11:51, said:

Or you could read the alert procedure. B-) IAC, it'll be interesting to hear what he says.

And while it's not definitive, you could also notice that the blue checkbox on the ACBL CC is labeled "0-2". Blue means announceable.

#54 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-27, 14:00

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-27, 13:45, said:

And while it's not definitive, you could also notice that the blue checkbox on the ACBL CC is labeled "0-2". Blue means announceable.

Yep.
--------------------

#55 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-27, 14:50

View PostCoelacanth, on 2012-January-27, 09:42, said:

Of course, there are other methods where 1 shows 2+. For instance, my Transfer Walsh 1 shows (a) 11-13 balanced (excl. 5c majors, incl. 3352), (b) 17-19 balanced (dito), © 4414/4144/1444, (d) unbalanced with clubs as longest suit. This opening shows, on average, 3.75 clubs. (By contrast, the 1 opening shows 5.53 diamonds, the 1 opening 5.41 hearts and the 1 opening 5.02 spades.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#56 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-27, 15:37

Was me, I'd find those fractional cards too difficult to hold on to. I'd be continually dropping them on the floor. :P
--------------------

#57 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 15:44

Ah, but that's different, mgoetze. According to the ACBL, 1 "clubs or balanced", non-forcing, is *not* natural. It's only the 1 "3+ or 4=4=3=2" that is natural.

And, of course, there's no way to determine the difference from the "could be short" announcement.

Enjoy.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#58 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-30, 10:50

OK, I did check with Mike Flader, and I stand corrected.

As long as it is non-forcing, an opening of 1m which can be shorter than 3 cards is an Announcement, not an Alert. Obviously if it is forcing or carries other unexpected distributional information it's an Alert.

He also clarified that the (new) prohibition of artificial defenses applies only to the 4432 case. If, by agreement, your 1m opening can be a singleton or void, the opponents may play anything they like against it.
Brian Weikle

#59 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:07

Actually the regulation ---the scope of which is accurately stated by Coelacanth --- is just fine. It simply eliminates the excuse some pairs had for using a Mid Chart defense against what has always been considered by players to be a fairly natural opening bid....the choice to open 1 with a balanced hand which contains no five-card major and only 3 diamonds.

Players who play artificial agreements should expect opponents to defend against them robustly. Opening a doubleton is an artificial agreement. The fact that many pairs do so does not affect this.

:ph34r:

I did write several other replies correcting Coelacanth's misapprehensions but he has sneakily corrected them himself in his last post! According to the ACBL Alert Procedures:

ANNOUNCEMENTS

4. After a non-forcing opening 1 or 1 for which the opener could have fewer than three cards in the suit opened.

After the opening bid, the opening bidder's partner says, "May be short."

Whether the new rule that makes a 4=4=3=2 non-forcing doubleton opening, if that specific shape is the only shape where a doubleton is opened, a natural opening is sensible or not [I think not] is not really relevant for this sort of forum. But the difficulty is that if you play different defences to natural and artificial openings, and allowing for the lack of care of ACBL players in filling in SCs and explaining methods, how do you find out whether they play a natural "May be short" opening or an artificial "May be short" opening?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#60 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 10:33

View Postbluejak, on 2012-February-06, 09:07, said:

But the difficulty is that if you play different defences to natural and artificial openings, and allowing for the lack of care of ACBL players in filling in SCs and explaining methods, how do you find out whether they play a natural "May be short" opening or an artificial "May be short" opening?

This is really the heart of the problem. Absent a pre-alert (which would not be required in any case), players who play such dual defensive methods are put into the position of having to ask a lot of questions and providing partner with UI.

I think the practical effect of the new regulation will be that nobody will play such methods anymore. Any artificial defense will be deployed only against a purely artificial 1 opener.
Brian Weikle

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users