Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Competative bidding problems

#1 User is offline   Oceanss 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-03, 06:33

I have several questions, and i appreciate your help.
Playing IMPs, 2/1, with known pard that is good aggressive player

A)

Should I have passed 5D doubled?

B)

I thought that my free bid of 1h was descriptive enough, as not strong to go to 2h, yet had something to offer. Was I wrong and should bid 2h?
And after it went to 3D, should I compete and how? X? 3h? 3s?

C)

I loved this hand, and just couldn't pass 3D. What I should have done instead of 3s? That 3N was crushed as a bug, p holding Kxx in dimes.

Thanks for your answers, and Happy New Year everyone :)

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-03, 08:07

A) Looks like partner has hung himself. I agree with 5, your spades are better and partner isn't necessarily saying he prefers diamonds; he might just be trying for either.

B) I agree, you have done your duty.

C) This one is trickier. You could try double if you are not playing that as 3 card heart support. 4 has appeal also. Not sure what is best.

edit: sometimes I like to answer these early, then compare to what actual knowledgable players say. Lately I'm not doing so well, lol.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-03, 09:14

There's always someone with a different opinion .. ;)

A) Yes. Assuming 2 is a 2 suited bid with spades, he could have doubled to give you a choice. Therefore he actively prefers diamonds, having more of them.

B) I'm happy with 1, but over 3 would bid 3. Partner passed because he has only 4 hearts (maybe 3 with void clubs?) and can't do anything else. You on the other hand have 5 hearts, and you have shown only 4. What's more, you are short in diamonds, while he is short in clubs. Looks a good hand for you.

C) I think I can pass, but if I can't, then maybe X. Even if if does show 3 card support, you want to do something and Hx with a side singleton is just about acceptable. Partner then has the option of bidding anything, which you can pass.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-03, 09:32

A) is pretty clear, partner has gone 1 level higher than he needed to in order to suggest diamonds, thinking that he has the same in both suits is insane, 5-7 is what I´d think.

C) preempts work, you overbid a bit, but you would had got a magical score if partner had A as well as K

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-January-03, 13:48

A) Pulling 5x is awful! This is a clear pass. Partner could have bid 4 to give you the choice of games but he bid 5. He's likely 5-7 or 5 and a very strong 6 and could have 5 nearly made in his own hand.

B) This looks like a near max for 1 and unless PD is a fan of off shape X's I'll risk 3.

C) I don't mind 3 here but X or pass or even 4 are also possible and I'd not criticize any decision. I think there's a decent chance that 3nt makes.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-03, 15:14

edit

#7 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-04, 04:09

1) Partner has longer . Dont rescue him - he had the chance to ask you and he didnt, probably for a good reason.
2) I like 1, 3 seems an ok bid, and I dont think its sch a great hand given the position of K
3) Sorry, but I really dont like 3 - it very unilateral imo :). Usually at 3+ level X is not necessarily 3 cards, it just shows short and a competitive hand.
I would prefer double because a lot of good things can happen - partner may leave it in for a 4 digit score, partner may be able to rebid or bid , and if he choses 3NT over my dbl it is an easy pass, now its a bit of a problem.
Passing is not a good option imo as partner likely holds at least 3 diamonds and will not be able to reopen.

Yu
Posted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-04, 07:13

A) Partner's 5 bid shows longer diamonds than spades. Your spade preference is not strong enough to remove this so it is better to leave it in 5X.

B)It is possible to play here that a 2 response merely shows a 5th heart. If you play it is extra values there is considerable overlap between 1 and 2. Your 1 is ok though and I think the decision over 3 is the most difficult of the 4 presented here. If playing traditional doubles then I can count on partner to have 3-4 diamonds and pass seems best at IMPS r/r. If playing a more modern style then I would be too worried about partner having shorter diamonds and compete to 3. This is one of the major advantages of traditional shape-based doubles.

C) For me this is a clear X over 3. Bidding 3 directly would usually show a stronger hand.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users