• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WWZD? What would Zia do?

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-06, 12:08

Or what should we do? Partner was saddled with this problem online a few minutes ago. IMPs, unknown but seemingly competent opps.

Agree with 1 I hope? What now?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-September-06, 12:18

Spoiler

Added spoiler tags. Hadn't noticed this was in B/I.

#3 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 13:49

Ummm ... 4?

Is there something I'm missing here?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 16:44

Since this is posted, I'd think pd has ace + shortness and J, finesse working and we are cold for slam vs pd's 5 hcp ? But then u need him to have some s too. Anyway i would just bid 4 and hope we or they make 4M.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-06, 17:02

1S is fine.

I would bid 4S now, Axx of hearts is a great holding for this auction, we are likely to catch short hearts with partner which means we can ruff our heart losers in dummy and have very few losers overall. Red vs White it may seem scary, but it's scary to lose a vulnerable game defending 4H also!

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-06, 17:05

View Postthe_dude, on 2011-September-06, 13:49, said:

Ummm ... 4?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Since this is posted, I'd think pd has ♣ ace + ♥ shortness and ♠J, finesse working and we are cold for slam vs pd's 5 hcp ? But then u need him to have some ♠s too. Anyway i would just bid 4♠ and hope we or they make 4M.

Just my opinion but these kind of comments are inappropriate for hands posted on the beginner/int forum. There is no question too basic for this forum, and people should not fear being made to feel stupid if they post a question on this forum. Asking a question here does not imply resulting or ulterior motives either.

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2011-September-06, 17:18

I'll take my chances with 4 as there's a great chance PD has short and we can get some ruffs and we won't need much else from him to make. If PD has nothing at all, the opps may be cold for 4 as well. Red vs White is a concern, but missing game at these colors is very bad.

#8 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-September-06, 17:24

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-06, 17:02, said:

1S is fine.

I would bid 4S now, Axx of hearts is a great holding for this auction, we are likely to catch short hearts with partner which means we can ruff our heart losers in dummy and have very few losers overall. Red vs White it may seem scary, but it's scary to lose a vulnerable game defending 4H also!

This is an important point. Of course, nothing is assured, but when the opps show a big fit, and we have surprising length in their suit, we can expect, more times than not, that partner has shortness AND (we hope and expect) a couple of trumps for us, playing in our long suit.

Most opps, on this auction, have at least 9 trumps. Admittedly, some inexperienced players may have some hand with 12 or 13 hcp and 3 hearts, but you'll probably do well against those players overall, even if not on this hand.

If partner has the hoped-for stiff or void, with xx or xxx in spades, the opps are on the horns of a dilemma....either they give you timing and free finesses in trumps or they let you ruff hearts in dummy. Holding the A of hearts is especially valuable in this kind of scenario.

You can use this thinking in many competitive bidding decisions so long as you are prepared for the occasional disappointment when partner has a weak freakish hand in the other two suits.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-September-07, 10:52

I don't understand your thread title Ben, were you expecting "lead the 4" or something? :P
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#10 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 11:12

View Postdaveharty, on 2011-September-07, 10:52, said:

I don't understand your thread title Ben, were you expecting "lead the 4" or something? :P

Yeah, I was. Thanks for taking the bait.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-07, 14:05

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-06, 17:05, said:

Just my opinion but these kind of comments are inappropriate for hands posted on the beginner/int forum. There is no question too basic for this forum, and people should not fear being made to feel stupid if they post a question on this forum. Asking a question here does not imply resulting or ulterior motives either.

This is not a fair crticism, but it is my fault and of course you are entitled to your opinions, you have points too, especially when what i intended was written poorly.

What i intended was, looking at the title of topic, " This hand can make slam if pd has everything we need vs his 5 hcp and perhaps Zia would find it, however as mortal player i am bidding 4 and hoping we or them makes their 4M"

I would have never wrote the way i wrote, if topic title did not mislead me. Not only i did not know this was in B/I forums, but also i never made such a reply starting with an attempt to predict the entire story of the post in any forums.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-07, 14:07

Dbl post

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users