• You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive Play TWELVE

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-05, 11:06

You are playing UDCA.

Click the NEXT button to see the first three tricks. What do you play to trick four. Is the correct defense "clear". What can you speculate about the unseen hands?

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-06, 02:10

Spoiler

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 05:31

This spoiler contains my long and rambling thought process.

Spoiler

This one contains what I lead now

Spoiler

Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-06, 09:03

Spoiler

"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-06, 09:36

This one is probably a little over the B/I range I think.

Spoiler

Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 16:09

No need for too complicated analyis. We should never play pd for A because if he has this declarer can not make.

We all seem to agree that declarer has 2353 shape.

When pd has AT9xx , both and now defeats 1NT

When pd has A9xxx or ATxxx , now wins

When pd has A, only back now wins.

When pd has A, it doesnt matter we always defeat

When pd has Q, it doesnt matter, we can never defeat because declarer then has to have A and making 2+2+2+1 and we cant cash 7 tricks before he does.

When pd has Q + J it doesnt matter we always defeat regardless of what we play again.

My choice is now as i said earlier, not only because of pd's choice of bidding, but also i am losing only if declarer has J9 JT doubleton which by the way declarer could have made it by simply playing another after K if he had one of those holdings.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 16:30

MrAce, on 2011-September-06, 16:09, said:

No need for too complicated analyis. We should never play pd for A because if he has this declarer can not make.

We all seem to agree that declarer has 2353 shape.

When pd has AT9xx , both and now defeats 1NT

When pd has A9xxx or ATxxx , now wins

When pd has A, only back now wins.

When pd has A, it doesnt matter we always defeat

When pd has Q, it doesnt matter, we can never defeat because declarer then has to have A and making 2+2+2+1 and we cant cash 7 tricks before he does.

When pd has Q + J it doesnt matter we always defeat regardless of what we play again.

My choice is now as i said earlier, not only because of pd's choice of bidding, but also i am losing only if declarer has J9 JT doubleton which by the way declarer could have made it by simply playing another after K if he had one of those holdings.

The moral of the story (for me at least) is to always pay attention to the contract. I was defending 3NT, and only just now realized it.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-06, 20:56

The posters have rationalized the hand well, and found the killing return (your last spade). The rationale about partner has only one diamond is fairly clear, and his club signal is helpful. Of course, we should all quickly get the 6 to 8 points for partner. So you can work out fairly closely partner's hand. The key decision is to return a diamond to kill an entry to the "long club" in dummy, and return a spade to set partner's long suit up while he still has an entry. As you can see, the hand was just a Mr. Ace proposed that needed the spade return.

I think Phil's logic about partner not underleading spade ACE is useful in determining the best play.

Give yourself a lot of credit if a.) you worked out everyone's distribution, b.) you remembered to count partners hand out. This one I think is advanced defense level, but thought the problem would be challenging and educational for the upper intermediates.

This how Defenders did against NT by East. Notice holding this to 6 tricks is not easy. Actually the two 6 tricks and 5 trick defenses benefited from poor declarer play, not great defense.

Contr   Ld   Tr  Score   Pts
3N	E D7	7   200   2.93    	
2N	E D7    6   200   2.93    	
1N	E D7    5   200   2.93    	
1N	E H7	6   100   0.07    	
3N	E D9	8   100   0.07    	
2N	E C3	7   100   0.07    	
1N	E D7	7   -90  -4.93 
1N	E D2	7   -90  -4.93    	
1N	E D7	8  -120  -5.87 

--Ben--

Page 1 of 1