BBO Discussion Forums: big spade fit - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

big spade fit which splinter? or some other strategy?

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-August-17, 10:23

I was just kibbing some friends and this hand came up:

What's your pleasure, and why?
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-17, 10:45

4NT, because partner's response gives me the information I want, while minimizing opps' chance to find a fit.

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-17, 10:52

I was going to content myself with 4S (and 5D over 4NT/5C otherwise 5S), but I like 4NT. If you play that 4NT forces the partnership to slam opposite stronger option, well...it might make opposite 3 anyway.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-17, 10:53

2 because partner's response gives me the information I want and I don't care about the opponents finding their fit.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-17, 10:54

Guys, sorry but 4N is a LOL.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-17, 11:48

View PostPhil, on 2011-August-17, 10:53, said:

2 because partner's response gives me the information I want and I don't care about the opponents finding their fit.

2NT because partner's response gives me the information I want and I don't care about the opponents finding their fit. :)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-August-17, 15:39

4NT has merit but is dangerous. If pard has but one keycard you're dead.

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-August-17, 15:59

At least on this side of the pond, 4NT as a direct response to an opening bid is used to ask for straight aces, not keycard. If I want to use keycard, I agree partner's suit first.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-17, 16:16

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-August-17, 15:59, said:

At least on this side of the pond, 4NT as a direct response to an opening bid is used to ask for straight aces, not keycard. If I want to use keycard, I agree partner's suit first.

Agreed in this part of a former colony.

In any event, 4N is flat out silly.....KQxxx KQx xx KQx is a full opener and here we are explaining how, with no opposition bidding, we reached the 5 level off 3 cashing Aces.

I can live with J2N, especially if we have some good response structure....partner won't go nuts with only 1 keycard....we won't reach the 5 level very often, and he won't take charge with only 2 keys.

2 is certainly plausible, but I don't think that a slow approach will tell us any more and will often tell us less than 2N...and this is a hand on which to assume captaincy.

Yes, xxx in diamonds makes any spot we rieach risky, but I'll take that chance, while I won't take the needless risk of an immediate 4N (even if it were keycard).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-17, 16:21

3NT as a RKC to S.

View Postdaveharty, on 2011-August-17, 10:23, said:

I was just kibbing some friends and this hand came up:

What's your pleasure, and why?

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-18, 01:17

When i said this very same thing in another thread, it was found odd by people B-)

Anyway, i would personally start 2. I would not be so comfortable doing this, had pd opened 1, instead of 1
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-18, 02:02

2 is much better than a splinter imo. The shortnesses and extra trumps are nice for control, but the real strength is the suit.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-18, 03:29

2D, because i want to be able to bid 3S to set S later.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-18, 04:20

I can understand the logic, but this logic is for scientists.
I can not remember when I last had a hand, where I wanted to jump to 4NT asking for straight aces over a major suit opening, while asking for key-cards is common, at least in comparison.
This rule makes for convoluted auctions. The scientist believe it does not matter.
I believe it does.

Rainer Herrmann

#15 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-18, 04:32

View Postmikeh, on 2011-August-17, 16:16, said:

In any event, 4N is flat out silly.....KQxxx KQx xx KQx is a full opener and here we are explaining how, with no opposition bidding, we reached the 5 level off 3 cashing Aces.

In perfect Bridge dreamland that is true.
4N is a calculated risk, where it is easy to see the flaw.The question really is how big this flaw really is.
Meanwhile a slow approach, may make it impossible to ask for any keycards, should opponents interfere.
If you take the slow approach, you will need to have extremely good tools to distinguish KQxxx KQx xx KQx from Axxxx,Axx,xx,Axx.
Yes I know most of you will have tailor made agreements to distinguish these two hands --- on paper.

We lesser mortals will either eventually have to ask for key cards, even if we take the slow approach, or never ask for keycards.
Never asking for keycards may not only land you in game when slam is cold, it will also make it unlikely to reach a grand when partner happens to have four keycards, say AKxxx,Axx,xx,Axx.

Rainer Herrmann

#16 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-18, 04:33

I was trying to find the thread on this, I think it was created late 2009 and opinions were widely varied. I remember that JLOGIC advocated keycard; I didn't really read the other replies.

edit: http://www.bridgebas...c/34354-1z-4nt/
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#17 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-18, 06:25

View Postgwnn, on 2011-August-18, 04:33, said:

I was trying to find the thread on this, I think it was created late 2009 and opinions were widely varied. I remember that JLOGIC advocated keycard; I didn't really read the other replies.

edit: http://www.bridgebas...c/34354-1z-4nt/

Here is Justin's quote from a Sept 14, 2010 thread:

http://forums.bridge...pic=41586&st=15

Jlogic: " Keycard is bid on almost every slam hand at all levels, and when it isn't it's usually because there was a quantitative auction like 2N-4N-6N, or the opponents preempted you out of being about to bid keycard. This is not for no reason, keycard is absolutely vital to slam bidding, GL trying to cuebid your way into every slam correctly. "
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#18 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-August-18, 07:00

I have also advocated a direct 4NT in response to an opening one bid as aces, not keycard.

I had a hand within the past year where it came up, and it resulted in a swing in our favor.

One can (almost) always make a forcing major suit raise prior to bidding 4NT as keycard, so using 4NT directly as ace-asking has virtually no downside, and it helps on certain freak hands where the holding of the trump K is not relevant.

#19 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-18, 07:49

2N for me. I want partner to know that I'm making a GF spade raise now in case it comes back around to me at 4H or 5C.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#20 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-18, 08:54

View Postrhm, on 2011-August-18, 04:32, said:

In perfect Bridge dreamland that is true.
4N is a calculated risk, where it is easy to see the flaw.The question really is how big this flaw really is.
Meanwhile a slow approach, may make it impossible to ask for any keycards, should opponents interfere.
If you take the slow approach, you will need to have extremely good tools to distinguish KQxxx KQx xx KQx from Axxxx,Axx,xx,Axx.
Yes I know most of you will have tailor made agreements to distinguish these two hands --- on paper.

We lesser mortals will either eventually have to ask for key cards, even if we take the slow approach, or never ask for keycards.
Never asking for keycards may not only land you in game when slam is cold, it will also make it unlikely to reach a grand when partner happens to have four keycards, say AKxxx,Axx,xx,Axx.

Rainer Herrmann

Are you suggesting that after a 2N forcing raise, I will miss grand opposite 4 keycards?

Using 2N to set trump is a precursor to, not a means of avoiding, the use of keycard.

I agree that the hand on which one wants to know Aces and not keycards is rare, but it really isn't esoteric bridge science to agree that 4N caters to that hand while J2N then Ace asking is keycard. Anyone who uses Texas and jacoby, for example, already uses a similar sort of approach: 2 level transfer then 4N is quantitative, 4 level transfer then 4N is keycard. How tough is that to remember?

As for interference, while the odds are that we won't need 4N as just Aces very often, I don't find the chances of a 5-level bid by 4th hand over J2N to happen very often either B-)

I find it funny that people who advocate keycard 4N seem to think that those of us who don't ask for keycards on round one of the bidding intend never to ask later.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users