BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge is a sport, game or who cares? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge is a sport, game or who cares?

#41 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-July-20, 16:50

Whether or not bridge should be legally classified as a "sport" I cannot say, but many of the players I've met act as though they're competing in one.

We have poker on ESPN, why shouldn't we be able to see team matches on Versus?

#42 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-20, 20:12

This debate reminds me of the debate over gay marriage. If you're in favor, "marriage" means a loving, committed union between any pair of people. If you're against, then your definition includes "between a man and a woman." And if you're a polygamist, it doesn't even have to be just two people.

Do we need a Constitutional amendment to define "sport" to solve this?

#43 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-20, 21:33

hmmm....

bloodsport.

#44 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-21, 00:33

View Postbarmar, on 2011-July-20, 20:12, said:

This debate reminds me of the debate over gay marriage. If you're in favor, "marriage" means a loving, committed union between any pair of people. If you're against, then your definition includes "between a man and a woman." And if you're a polygamist, it doesn't even have to be just two people.

Do we need a Constitutional amendment to define "sport" to solve this?

See also my post above.

#45 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-21, 13:31

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-19, 12:09, said:

All we need now is an appeals committee at the Olympics. Can you imagine that, with all the $$$ and national pride flying around? "The East German judge voted to reverse the director's ruling, while the French and English panelists wanted to uphold the verdict."

Depending upon the sport, it seems that there may indeed be something like an appeals committee. I seem to recall a number of cases where results were appealed to the ruling body fof the support. For example, there was a case a few years ago where a judge was giving favorable scores to another country's participants in exchange for the judge from that country giving favorable scores to his country's participants in another event. When this came to light, the scores were adjusted.

#46 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-21, 14:35

I haven't read this thread, so I apologize if this has been addressed already, but do we know who exactly is going to make money from bridge becoming an Olympic sport? Is it Rona pushing the hardest with the Olympic committee or is there another Chairman of the Olympic Movement or something?

Maybe someone really is crazy enough to keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole just for the sake of doing it, but I assume the motivation is money. I'd just like to know which politician to complain about when bridge becomes the butt of every Olympic joke ever told.
OK
bed

#47 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-21, 17:24

View Postjjbrr, on 2011-July-21, 14:35, said:

I haven't read this thread, so I apologize if this has been addressed already, but do we know who exactly is going to make money from bridge becoming an Olympic sport?

I'm sure Australia isn't alone in that government funding of Olympic sports is generally much higher than non-Olympic sports and obviously a lot higher than the ziltch that non-recognised sports like bridge get. I would expect the main beneficiaries to be the elite representative players who would have access to far more funding to compete in overseas tournaments, but with more money available to NBOs generally I'm sure there will be benefits for all bridge players.

Personally, I don't think bridge fits into "Citius, Altius, Fortius" concept and shouldn't be in the Olympics, but there are plenty of borderline "sports" in the Olympics already, particularly those where winners are determined by subjective judging. I think that official recognition as a sport would be quite useful for marketing and development of bridge and the obvious advantages in places where governments either fund or give tax relief to sports.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#48 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-22, 00:20

View PosthotShot, on 2011-July-19, 03:13, said:

To be good at <SPORT> you need:

-physical fitness
-regular training
-the ability to keep focused during the competition

Depending on the <SPORT> the peak performance is reached in the age range of 14-40. (In gymnastics and some freeclimbing competitions the peak is very young.)

This seems to apply to bridge in a similar way.

Except for the physical fitness. Some very ill, or very physically unfit/bad shape can play great bridge.

#49 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-22, 00:35

"I can think of a number of advantages for bridge to be treated as a sport, not the least of which is better access to government funding which is most definately the case in my country"

this is the only point that really matters.

Please lobby for more money now and often!

In fact the only problem is that there should be more money because of reasons in above posts!

I would only add that this will help the children and the old!

all other is nonsense.

#50 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-22, 02:34

View Postpeachy, on 2011-July-22, 00:20, said:

Except for the physical fitness. Some very ill, or very physically unfit/bad shape can play great bridge.

Have you ever played 3 sessions per day over several days?

#51 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-July-22, 04:23

View PosthotShot, on 2011-July-22, 02:34, said:

not for government money ...why?

--

see my above post

#52 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-22, 17:13

View Postpeachy, on 2011-July-22, 00:20, said:

Refer you to this post PaulG made about the late Michelle Brunner in the RIP thread:

She played at least one Camrose match where she was almost unable to leave the playing area and spent the break in the organisers room chatting to all of us rather than battle her way downstairs. Amazing that she could still maintain concentration and performance in these circumstances and I think it was an indication of how highly she was regarded that her NPCs were happy to play her despite the obvious discomfort that she was in.

Sad to see such a competitor leave us too soon.

#53 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-July-22, 21:12

Bridge is dominated by pros in their sixties. Bridge is not a sport. While poker has been dominated by players in their twenties(last two years). Poker is a sport.

#54 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-July-22, 22:47

Uh, huh. Right. Sure. <_<
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#55 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 00:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-July-22, 17:13, said:

Refer you to this post PaulG made about the late Michelle Brunner in the RIP thread:

Did she win?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#56 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 01:49

View Postjogs, on 2011-July-22, 21:12, said:

Bridge is dominated by pros in their sixties. Bridge is not a sport. While poker has been dominated by players in their twenties(last two years). Poker is a sport.

This is of cause true, but you have to take into account:

1) the number of top player is a function of the total number of player. Since there are more bridge player in the age group of xisties than in group of twenties, you'd expect more top player in the bigger group.
2) The "average" pro has to find clients in local clubs, how many of your usually club members would want to hire a 20 year old pro?
3) A lot of the better bridge player put their focus on family and career from their mid twenties on. Since they don't see that they can make a living as a pro.
4) There is much more money in the poker business.

I'm not familiar with the poker scene are you implying that there are no good old poker player?

#57 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 04:42

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-July-23, 00:43, said:

Did she win?

Certainly won the 2010 camrose (England/Scotland/Wales/NI/Rep ireland international comp) which may be the one talked about.

#58 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 05:30

In Poland bridge has been official recognized as a sport already in 1963 by the goverment
and the NBO is a member of the National Olympic Committee since 1995. PBU the common english translation for "Polski Zwiazek Brydza Sportowego" is not exactly...the word for word translation = Polish Association of the Sport Bridge.

As the consequence of this recognition polish bridge has been donated by the state authorities just like any other sport for decades. This donation is success-related (international achivements ) so we can say polish youth made a lot of money for polish bridge in last years. :)
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#59 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 07:20

Michelle Brunner on her deathbed would have beaten me in my prime. But perhaps the more relevant test is how Michelle Brunner on her deathbed would have fared against Michelle Brunner in her prime. All credit to her that she was still playing competively, but I don't think that that would ever address this question.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#60 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-24, 02:24

Yes I have. Enjoyed it.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users