• You cannot reply to this topic

Swiss Team Scoring

#61 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-30, 21:59

rduran1216, on 2011-May-28, 10:59, said:

I dont understand people who think w/l is more random then accounting for margin of victory. Please name for me some kind of competition where you have head to head matches, and instead of winning those, its the margins of victory that determine outcome. Who were the NFL champions in 2007? Who were the world cup champions in 2006, was it teams who blasted their opponents?

-Make the NBA playoffs be played by round robin 6 minutes matches and see how happy the guys who lose 3 matches by a last second 3 point throw are.

-You still have to cope with another main difference and its the fact that the lossing team does not know it is losing on bridge while on every other sport the running score is public to all players.

#62 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-31, 00:44

mrdct, on 2011-May-30, 21:52, said:

As it happens, I was playing in a little country event a couple of weeks ago with my daughter and because of an odd number of teams they needed to have a triangle which brought boards 33-40 into play which came to the table flushed* so we had to shuffle and deal. This was the first time since 1993 that I'd played bridge with hand-dealt cards.

With me Directing I put in only one third of non played boards in Triella/Threeway/Triangle then split the boards that are being played in rest of competition between the 3 tables making up required number using boards to be dealt

People seem to like this as it means they at least play 2 thirds of actual competition hands

;)

#63 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 05:38

shintaro, on 2011-May-31, 00:44, said:

With me Directing I put in only one third of non played boards in Triella/Threeway/Triangle then split the boards that are being played in rest of competition between the 3 tables making up required number using boards to be dealt

People seem to like this as it means they at least play 2 thirds of actual competition hands

;)

This is the normal way, isn't it?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#64 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 09:23

Vampyr, on 2011-May-31, 05:38, said:

This is the normal way, isn't it?

no stephanie a lot just put out sets to be only used at the triella tables ;)

#65 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-31, 09:29

shintaro, on 2011-May-31, 09:23, said:

no stephanie a lot just put out sets to be only used at the triella tables ;)

I see. Seems a bit silly.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#66 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-May-31, 09:37

Fluffy, on 2011-May-30, 21:59, said:

-Make the NBA playoffs be played by round robin 6 minutes matches and see how happy the guys who lose 3 matches by a last second 3 point throw are.

Sounds exciting!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#67 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 10:15

Vampyr, on 2011-May-30, 17:26, said:

So players shouldn't be rewarded for "anti-percentage" actions which work? Perhaps all of the bids and plays on every hand should be recorded and the scores could be decided by a panel judging for merit rather than by the results of the boards.

No. The argument is that swiss team results are pretty random. Sure, if you played a very long match you'd expect the better team (or at least the team that played better) to win. But typical swiss matches are 6-8 boards. When there's already a lot of luck involved, it makes sense to use a scoring system that doesn't add additional luck. A W/L system fails on this.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#68 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 10:25

If you played in a Swiss event in which the number of wins trumped the margin of any win, then it would I think randomise the later hands in any particular Swiss match in which there is apparent to all players a clear leader going into the closing stages of the match. It would certainly dramatically change the strategy of the game out of all recognition. Consider: If you estimate that you are 16-4 down going into the last couple of hands, there is no incentive to play a sensible game, if a 16-4 loss is akin to a 20-0 loss in the final reckoning. You might as well take some truly bizarre action on the last two hands. Sure, there is a chance that they may work out for you and turn the entire match around for a win. It is a very slim chance, but better than (effectively) no chance that would be the effect of just playing straight down the middle. This is an effect also observed in the latter stages of K/O matches but they are at least over a large number of boards.

By contrast, if every VP counts equally in the final reckoning, and you appear to have 4 VPs for the match to date, then every extra VP that you could gain by playing a sensible game over the remainder of the match is as worthy of the effort as each VP in other matches. Personally I think that this is a healthy competitive environment, and if the price to be paid for that is the theoretical possibility that an overall winner may have won fewer matches than second place, then that is a price that I would be prepared to pay.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#69 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-31, 10:31

IMO, the 30 Pt. VP scale, where one IMP=18-12, should not be used for 6/7-board matches for the same reason as W/L should not be used. A different 30-Pt. scale is used for round-robin qualifying phases with more boards; so, I don't know if the 18-12 version should ever be used.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#70 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-May-31, 10:54

mrdct, on 2011-May-30, 21:52, said:

That's an interesting attitude which certainly seems to be the prevailing point-of-view in ACBL-land and no doubt saves the tournament convenors quite a bit of money in dealing costs and volume of boards required to run an event.

I haven't played bridge in Europe for several years, but I can certainly say that in Australia there would be virtually no congresses, national events or state events that don't use pre-dealt boards and I'd say the vast majority of bridge clubs these days either have a dealing machine or get their boards dealt by a third-party such that the overwhelming majority of club duplicates played in this country are with pre-dealt boards. I'd suggest that if someone put on a tournament here and asked the players to shuffle and deal there would be people asking for their money back and a lot less people turning up for the next event run by the same convenor. Whilst you might consider "stupid small events" unworthy of pre-dealt boards, if anything it's those events which provide good opportunities for lower-flight players to improve through going through the hand records and discussing them with their partners and more experienced players. Quite a lot of clubs in Australia, particularly the privately-run clubs, do formal talks after the duplicate to quickly whiz through a few interesting hands which is a bit of a selling point. I think it costs about $15-$20 to get a set of boards dealt, so you only need one extra table showing up because they like hand-records to make it profitable to do it. If I was running a private bridge club, I'd hand-duplicate the boards if necessary until I could afford to buy a dealing machine.

As it happens, I was playing in a little country event a couple of weeks ago with my daughter and because of an odd number of teams they needed to have a triangle which brought boards 33-40 into play which came to the table flushed* so we had to shuffle and deal. This was the first time since 1993 that I'd played bridge with hand-dealt cards.

*As an aside this was quite funny situation as the cards in the flushed boards were face down so we initially all took our hands out and sorted them (I had the suit) and we all had poker faces except for the clown sitting east who decided to call the director and spoil everyone's fun (especially his partner's who held the suit). I went a little bit Secretary Bird on him suggesting that it was inappropriate for him to call the director and give UI to his partner that he is holding an extraordinary hand and that what he should've done is shut-up and bid and play the hand and then when we get to the next board call the director and say "I think I recognise this hand".

I still don't get the point. I admitted that American tournaments suck, and I'm shocked more like you don't just boycott until you get hand dealt hands in all club games. It is really shocking anyone plays bridge in America having to deal with this. As we know, bridge in America is virtually dead right now anyways.

I mean honestly all I keep hearing about is how awesome bridge in every non american country is. Yet you admit in your post that some clubs in Australia don't have pre-dealt boards, while most do. In USA, the big clubs that make a lot of money have pre-dealt boards, and the small clubs that don't probably don't. There are a lot of bridge clubs in USA, we are a big place, and a large majority of our land is in places like the midwest which don't have that many people and aren't going to be making much money.

Almost all of the boards in our nationals a preduped, however some aren't. Do you really know the cost of preduping huge events like NABCs here? It would probably cost a lot of time and money, because those tournaments are really big! Most NABC events do have preduped boards, all pair games, the main events starting from the round of 32+ etc, and the swisses on the last day (for the 2 day events, only the top 10 teams or so get them). So basically, the boards are not preduped when the event is still huge. Maybe the reason Australia or [random european country] would always have preduped boards is because your events are never that huge. America has shown that when the event is not super huge, we always predupe at our nationals.

Similarly at regionals there are always preduped boards for pair games. Knockouts and swisses which often have hundreds of tables do not. If it's in a place without hundreds of tables, it's because it's a small regional, which probably doesn't make much money. It might even lose money. So they don't predupe.

The ACBL is not a for profit organization. We have full time directors who are competent and paid, and I appreciate that, I've heard some horror stories from other countries with volunteer directors, but you get what you pay for. Bridge is already expensive. If you preduped the huge NABC events, or a regional knockout, the directors would need to be paid more money since they do more work. Or more would have to be hired. This would cause a rise in the prices of entry fees. Perhaps this is not what the membership wants.

Likewise, if clubs bought a dealing machine and bridgemates, even if they were small, the only way they could make money (clubs are not ACBL run and are FOR profit) is to charge a higher entry fee. Probably the members don't want this. Someone has to eat that cost, and most clubs (especially the ones without these things, since they are in small locations) are barely making ends meet. AFAIK most are acutally losing money.

Going over the hands after takes time. Someone has to be paid. The members or the clubs barely making money would have to eat that. Hand preduping takes a lot of time. This would cause the club owners to make less money per hour worked. Perhaps they don't want this. They run a private club and they're trying to make money, it's up to them what is worth it to them.

For all american-bridge haters talking about how awesome your country is I would really try to remember the following:

1) Our tournaments are bigger, and more frequent than yours. The ACBL is nice enough to organize tournaments all around our country, all the time, even in places with not much people. They are trying to offer all americans the chance to play at all levels at an affordable and semi-frequent rate. It would cost the ACBL far more money total to predupe bigger and more frequent events.

2) Our major national events all have predupe boards. There are a few exceptions, and they are always when the event is still massive. Perhaps your country would find it hard to find the time and money to predupe these boards if you had events this big. Yes, if they were making money per person played, then the extra money you make by having more people might make it cost effective. However the ACBL loses money on many tournaments, because of point 1. Also because they pay full time directors, and they have the tournaments at very nice locations mostly. Perhaps you think it would be better to have worse director and location quality in order to have predupes for ALL events, but I don't, and many probably agree with me.

3) Our big clubs also have preduped boards, and our small clubs don't. We have a lot of clubs. This sounds the same as it is in many countries. Perhaps you have more profitable clubs because you are less spread out. To act like everything is preduped everywhere else and nothing is preduped in america is a huge exaggeration.

4) The average expense for an american to play at a tournament like an NABC is very high since our country is very big, and most people have to travel very far to do this. Charging more money in order to pay for these costs is not something most can afford.

5) I'm sorry, but at the end of the day in America you get extremely frequent games everywhere despite how many locations there are in USA, nice venues, full time paid directors, and predupes in almost all important events or in locations that make a lot of money. If you want you get to play against the best competition in the world (I am not saying that America has the best bridge team, but if you wanted to take the top 50 teams each country could produce, obviously USA would win. The talent pool is very deep.) This is not meant as an "America rocks at bridge" thing, we are a huge country, but if you want every week you can play against top players in the world. Right now I am in florida and there is a team with Meckwell, a team with John Hurd/Sontag, a team with the Ekeblads, Seamon, Demuy, a team with Berkowitz and Jacobus, a team with Cheek and Hampson, among others. At a huge tournament in a beautiful venue (there is a PGA tournament here every year). You have this option every week. If you don't want to travel, you get this chance a couple of weeks a year. And no one is complaining that the knockout matches are not preduped (who cares in a knockout anyways?). The pair games are preduplicated (obv much more important). And yeah, the 1 session swiss side game will not be preduped... big deal. This is what the ACBL has managed to offer americans (and many foreigners who come here every year), and I really do not believe that the situation is much better in every other country.

But keep going on about how bridge in America sucks, and as a bridge player you would much rather be on the other side of the pond, since you get to play multi in pair games and have preduped boards in non-serious swiss team events. I am sure you're right.

#71 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-May-31, 11:23

JLOGIC, on 2011-May-31, 10:54, said:

5) I'm sorry, but at the end of the day in America you get extremely frequent games everywhere despite how many locations there are in USA, nice venues, full time paid directors, and predupes in almost all important events or in locations that make a lot of money. If you want you get to play against the best competition in the world (I am not saying that America has the best bridge team, but if you wanted to take the top 50 teams each country could produce, obviously USA would win. The talent pool is very deep.) This is not meant as an "America rocks at bridge" thing, we are a huge country, but if you want every week you can play against top players in the world.

How frequently can you play if you are only interested in Midchart+ events?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#72 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 11:28

rduran1216, on 2011-May-28, 10:59, said:

I don't understand people who think w/l is more random then accounting for margin of victory.

Suppose Alice and Bob play three games against each other. In each game the score is on average 1 point in favour of the better player and the standard deviation is 1. The scores of the three games are independent and normal distributed.

The probability that the better player wins at least two of the three matches is 93.3%. The probability that the better player makes more total points is 95.8%.

As long as we assume normal distribution with constant standard deviation, total points will always be a better indicator than number of wins. This may turn out differently if a different statistical model is used, but the model has been shown to fit bridge tournament statistics quite well (Cascade and I have both done some research on this and I think Gerben also).

If the standard deviation was extremely variable across games then the number of wins could be a better indicator. But if that were the case someone would have discovered it and changed the IMP (and/or VP) scales long ago.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#73 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-31, 11:30

JLOGIC, on 2011-May-31, 10:54, said:

Going over the hands after takes time. Someone has to be paid. The members or the clubs barely making money would have to eat that. Hand preduping takes a lot of time. This would cause the club owners to make less money per hour worked. Perhaps they don't want this. They run a private club and they're trying to make money, it's up to them what is worth it to them.

Most clubs in England are not run for profit. I don't know about other countries, though.

#74 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-31, 11:30

mgoetze, on 2011-May-31, 11:23, said:

There are not many players who --if Mid+ is not allowed--will take their marbles and go home.
It might affect your choice of whether to travel all the way from Germany to play in a Sectional pairs game, and that is understandable. We have modifications to our system so that we can play GCC, even though we prefer to use certain Mid+ gadgets.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#75 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 11:36

There is a regional somewhere in the country almost every week. The higher bracket KOs and all flighted events (including A/X swisses) at virtually every regional are mid-chart. So the answer remains "every week" and "several times a year if you are not willing to travel." Of course, mid-chart pairs events can be somewhat harder to come by. There are also some caveats about getting into the top bracket in the regional if your team is short on ACBL points (sometimes you can play up, it helps to have experience in some foreign country, but sometimes it can be hard to arrange if directors don't know you).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#76 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-May-31, 11:39

Our club pays $17 per set for pre-duped boards. It is done by the son of our former unit president and it takes him around 3 hours to put together 16 sets. Based on a usual section size, this works out to $1.00 - $1.25 per table. The problem is you always have wastage, since you don't know in advance how many sections are in play, so the real cost turns out to be much higher.

The ACBL has a full-time person that does this months in advance. Its hard to know what the inputed cost would be.

I don't know why the league doesn't duplicate at the venue, especially for Swiss events, but I am sure they have considered it and they have their reasons.

One thing that seems to be have been conveniently ignored is security with pre-duped Swiss. I've finished my match early; whats to stop me from kibbing my friend in the same event?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#77 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 12:59

Phil, on 2011-May-31, 11:39, said:

One thing that seems to be have been conveniently ignored is security with pre-duped Swiss. I've finished my match early; whats to stop me from kibbing my friend in the same event?

Nothing

BUT interfering with the play would be different

;)

#78 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-May-31, 13:09

Vampyr, on 2011-May-31, 11:30, said:

Most clubs in England are not run for profit. I don't know about other countries, though.

Han told me the same thing for the Netherlands also.

I don't think club games are really the issue since you'll see Phil (LA area), me (Dallas, NYC, Vegas), etc all have preduped hands at our clubs. The clubs basically have these if they are a big area in USA, I think it is only smaller clubs that don't (though most clubs in USA are probably smaller clubs). Of course most club games rarely have anything other than pair games, maybe an occasional swiss, this is contrast to tournaments here which are mostly teams (though pairs are always offered, they are always smaller). In tournaments there are never preduped hands for the team games AFAIK below the national level. Tournaments here are non profit and run by ACBL, club games are private and for profit. For example, clubs are allowed to have whatever system regulations they want, so they can allow midchart conventions for example if they want.

#79 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-May-31, 13:19

As AWM said, in teams pretty much always if you're willing to travel, and for pairs it's less common. For me, I rarely play any bridge where midchart is not allowed (only an occasional club game), but obviously I am able travel a lot for bridge. Even if you're only willing to travel like a 3 hour car ride, that will give you many weekends of sectionals and several regionals. Club games are allowed to allowed midchart events but few do since that's not what their members want. I don't want to get into system regulation debates but I will assume that the for-profit clubs are doing what gets them the most people to come out. And in my personal experience for every person that wants to play something strange and play at the club, there are 10 little old ladies who don't.

#80 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 14:10

Phil, on 2011-May-31, 11:39, said:

shintaro, on 2011-May-31, 12:59, said:

Nothing

BUT interfering with the play would be different

;)

If the possibility exists that you might yet play the boards you are kibbing, I would hope that the director would prohibit this. I have played in some single session pre-duped Swiss events and in some cases, the boards were not played by all teams at the same time. For example, in one case there were 5 teams for a 4 match event. (Yes, I know that this became a round event since we played everyone.) In the course of play, each team played a 7 board match against each team, and it was arranged such that exactly 35 boards were used. I don't recall the details of the movement, except that each team played the next higher and next lower numbered team in the 1st 2 rounds, then compared, and then repeated this against the other 2 teams. The board movement was such that each team missed one set of 7 boards. Obviously, it was most undesirable for a table that finishes their either of their first 2 sets early to kibitz another table, as they were more than likely to see those boards as one of the last two sets.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users