Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the best line?

#1 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-31, 13:25

I'm neither Advanced nor Expert, but I was playing in a Flight A/X Swiss and my opponent at the other table IS an expert.

Imps, obviously, with none vul. You reach 4 by South on an unopposed auction. How do you play the hand on the lead of a club?

Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-31, 14:37

I tried several times to write up my thoughts. I found that I either ran into dead ends, or had so many possibilities depending on splits and if opps continued clubs or switched to hearts. My general thought was to set up a red suit squeeze for the 4th heart or 2nd diamond and try to cater to 4-1 spade splits without being pumped if they kept leading clubs (and so I'd have 5 red suit tricks, 1 club, and 4 hearts).

The idea I had was to duck the first club and ruff the second. Then play A of spades and spade to the Jack.

If the club was continued at trick 2, then the heart switch now is too late to kill my communication. If spades are 3-2, I can play all my trump, and lay down the diamond King, then see what happens.

If spades are 4-1 I still have some transportation and timing issues. I dunno if I'm completely off base on this line.

Very interesting hand, hopefully some poster with better ideas can either complete my thoughts or post better ones.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 14:52

I would win the Ace of clubs and finesse the Queen of spades.

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 14:55

View PostAlexJonson, on 2011-May-31, 14:52, said:

I would win the Ace of clubs and finesse the Queen of spades.

Could easily be better than my sketch of a line. I'm very interested to see what people have to say.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 14:58

Interesting ideas, BunnyGo. I must admit it did not occur to me to duck the first club.

A low spade to the Queen at trick two will win. Spades are 3-2, hearts are not 5-1, and the club honors are split, if that matters.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 15:07

View PostCoelacanth, on 2011-May-31, 14:58, said:

Interesting ideas, BunnyGo. I must admit it did not occur to me to duck the first club.

A low spade to the Queen at trick two will win. Spades are 3-2, hearts are not 5-1, and the club honors are split, if that matters.

Why is honors being split is relevant ?

I also wonder how u make this when 3-2 and are 4-2 if u cant guess . Lets say you took finesse and lost and u ruffed continuation. Cleared trumps which leaves u with 1 trump left, misguessed and ruffed their 3rd with no trump left and only 9 tricks. If u dont clear trumps and start working on , as i said after a misguess they may ruff 3rd .

This hand has much more to it than u think i am afraid, and thats why i gave you a +1 for bringing this hand. Its a good one.

Even if your finesse wins, the chances of not losing a trick is apprx. % 24
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 15:16

Spades are 3-2, hearts are not 5-1, and the club honors are split, if that matters.

I think my suggestion at a start of a line will work then, or at least it'll safely get you to either a diamond guess or red suit squeeze for the 10th trick.

View PostMrAce, on 2011-May-31, 15:07, said:

Why is honors being split is relevant ?

I also wonder how u make this when 3-2 and are 4-2 if u cant guess . Lets say you took finesse and lost and u ruffed continuation. Cleared trumps which leaves u with 1 trump left, misguessed and ruffed their 3rd with no trump left and only 9 tricks. If u dont clear trumps and start working on , as i said after a misguess they may ruff 3rd .

This hand has much more to it than u think i am afraid, and thats why i gave you a +1 for bringing this hand. Its a good one.

That's also why I gave a +1, it's a great hand. I'm very much looking forward to some deeper analysis.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 16:52

A low spade to the Queen at trick two will win. Spades are 3-2

So the greatest danger is that we'll go off in a "cold" contract (take a spade finesse, cash A, and ruff a heart in dummy).
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 17:25

View Postgnasher, on 2011-May-31, 16:52, said:

So the greatest danger is that we'll go off in a "cold" contract (take a spade finesse, cash A, and ruff a heart in dummy).

By that definition, isn't that the greatest danger of every contract where one reasonable percentage line would work?

#10 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 07:42

View Postgnasher, on 2011-May-31, 16:52, said:

Well actually I think this is the winning line. RHO has Kxx Tx AJxx Hxxx (not sure if he had the king or queen of clubs).

If the play goes
A
Q winning
A
A
K
Q - if RHO ruffs in you ruff the return, ruff the last in dummy and run the 10.
So RHO discards on the Q. When you lead the 9 and LHO produces the jack, you ruff and now RHO has some decisions to make. Does he overruff and tap you with a club, or does he discard?
Brian Weikle

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 10:27

View PostCoelacanth, on 2011-June-01, 07:42, said:

Well actually I think this is the winning line. RHO has Kxx Tx AJxx Hxxx (not sure if he had the king or queen of clubs).

If the play goes
A
Q winning
A
A
K
Q - if RHO ruffs in you ruff the return, ruff the last in dummy and run the 10.
So RHO discards on the Q. When you lead the 9 and LHO produces the jack, you ruff and now RHO has some decisions to make. Does he overruff and tap you with a club, or does he discard?

It doesn't matter what he does - we have four spades, three hearts, one heart ruff, one club and one diamond.

That was what I meant by the contract being "cold" on this layout and this line. The problems are:
- What to do if Q loses.
- Whether we can cope with a 4-1 spade break.
- Whether we can cater better for these layouts by doing something different at trick 2.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users