BBO Discussion Forums: Climate change - BBO Discussion Forums

• 177 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Climate change a different take on what to do about it.

#41 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-February-14, 16:59

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2011-February-14, 16:32, said:

pretty typical... but again, it won't matter
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#42 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-March-09, 08:39

Well, a new crack has appeared. Eugene Wahl has admitted to receiving an e-mail from Michael Mann requesting that he delete e-mails. The mainstream media is still asleep but the blogoshpere is coming alive. It is only a matter of time.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#43 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-09, 10:28

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2011-March-09, 08:39, said:

Well, a new crack has appeared. Eugene Wahl has admitted to receiving an e-mail from Michael Mann requesting that he delete e-mails. The mainstream media is still asleep but the blogoshpere is coming alive. It is only a matter of time.

Some thought needs to be given to this probing of email. Example: Yesterday I wrote a letter of recommendation for a former student. He signed the standard waiver of his right to see what I wrote. But of course the Washington Post signed no such waiver. I wrote the letter and then sent it by email to the secretary who put it on letterhead stationery and sent it off. I said generally nice things, I wouldn't have agreed to write the letter unless I could do that, but I would prefer not to see it in the public record.

This sort of thing is not unusual. Recently I had a long distance discussion with someone on a somewhat delicate matter. He sent me his candid views and asked that I please delete the email after reading it. There was no evil intent here, just a normal progression to a decision.

I recognize the need to catch wrongdoers but as things are going we will have to hold all of our conversations in person with machinery noise in the background and begin with an electronic probe for bugs. I am prepared to defend the public pronouncements I make. I would like to be able to hold informal email conversations without looking over my electronic shoulder.
Ken

#44 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-March-09, 10:49

I agree, so long as those exchanges do not involve billions of tax dollars.

#45 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-March-09, 11:15

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2011-March-09, 10:49, said:

I agree, so long as those exchanges do not involve billions of tax dollars.

Let's see how far this spirit of full disclosure extends, oh yee of the anonymous profile...

To start with:

What's your real name?
Where do you live?
Who do you work for?

I'll note in passing that most anyone whose been on these forms any length of time knows

Name: Richard Willey
Employer: The MathWorks

And half of you seem to have tracked me down on Facebook
Alderaan delenda est

#46 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-March-10, 11:07

A good primer on the broad strokes of climate reality and [CO2] with links to additional information.

http://joannenova.co...ld-of-skeptics/

#47 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2011-March-10, 16:55

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2011-March-10, 11:07, said:

A good primer on the broad strokes of climate reality and [CO2] with links to additional information.

http://joannenova.co...ld-of-skeptics/

well if australia is 1/100th of a degree, imagine what india and china together would do... 1/100th here, 1/100th there, it mounts up... pretty soon you're talking real change
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#48 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-March-11, 10:29

Acceleration of the contribution of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets to sea level rise
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#49 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-March-11, 16:36

"drives flow behavior not captured in present models"

model generated "results" are not empirical data and the "science" is so not settled.

http://www.sciencema...science.1200109

There is also the drop in the rate of sea-level rise over the last decade. For an interglacial, melt is to be expected. The rate fluctuates and is not alarming in terms of cm/decade rate of rise.

http://stevengoddard...640&h=263&h=263

The atolls adjust as do the sea shores. Besides, infrastructure mitigation is proven. "Control" of [CO2] and its putative effect on temperature and earthly processes (other than helping agricultural productivity) ... not so much.

#50 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-March-30, 16:49

Most interesting, especially the mention of Grudd 2008 at about 13 minutes in regarding wood density of tree-rings.

#51 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-06, 08:13

Checking and double-checking: Critics' review unexpectedly supports scientific consensus on global warming

A team of UC Berkeley physicists and statisticians that set out to challenge the scientific consensus on global warming is finding that its data-crunching effort is producing results nearly identical to those underlying the prevailing view.

The Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project was launched by physics professor Richard Muller, a longtime critic of government-led climate studies, to address what he called "the legitimate concerns" of skeptics who believe that global warming is exaggerated.

But Muller unexpectedly told a congressional hearing last week that the work of the three principal groups that have analyzed the temperature trends underlying climate science is "excellent.... We see a global warming trend that is very similar to that previously reported by the other groups."

The hearing was called by GOP leaders of the House Science & Technology committee, who have expressed doubts about the integrity of climate science.

Excellent, but inconvenient.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#52 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2011-April-06, 15:55

View PostPassedOut, on 2011-April-06, 08:13, said:

Excellent, but inconvenient.

there's some inconvenience on both sides

#53 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 09:59

View Postluke warm, on 2011-April-06, 15:55, said:

there's some inconvenience on both sides

Actually some great inconvenience for everyone.

#54 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-April-07, 20:51

The point has never been about whether climate changes. BEST has only "analyzed" 2% of the accumulated data and has yet to "publish" any results. Their statement has already been called into question. Either way, up or down, the crux of the matter is only whether [CO2] "controls" the global temperature and if we can do anything about it at any cost.
The more information that comes out, the clearer it becomes that models need to be taken under advisement, real results are problematic and that we have real problems to address that require our attention as much as our money, since they will want our money, for sure.

#55 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-April-07, 20:55

Another interesting presentation.

#56 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-19, 16:58

World class climate scientist not in favour of a carbon tax or any extreme measure to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

http://www.2gb.com/i...sk=view&id=8613

#57 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-April-21, 08:21

An example of how a bogus claim for "Global warming (sea level rise) is causing this terrible thing to occur!" can be factually refuted by simple observation and analysis.

http://wattsupwithth...eza/#more-38387

#58 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-21, 09:23

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2011-April-21, 08:21, said:

An example of how a bogus claim for "Global warming (sea level rise) is causing this terrible thing to occur!" can be factually refuted by simple observation and analysis.

Current sea level rise

Current sea level rise has occurred at a mean rate of 1.8 mm per year for the past century, and more recently, during the satellite altimetry era of sea level measurement, at rates in the range of 2.9-3.4 ± 0.4-0.6 mm per year from 1993–2010.

A simple observation.

#59 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2011-April-21, 15:52

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2011-April-21, 08:21, said:

http://wattsupwithth...eza/#more-38387

at the risk of repeating myself, it doesn't really matter... "show me the money" is the battle cry, and it won't stop any time soon

#60 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2011-April-21, 23:22

Posted Image

In keeping with the rise since pre-industrial times when [CO2] was around 300 ppm. So how will carbon offsets help stop the rise? Maybe only the rise in our bank accounts, lol.

• 177 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users