Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dbl and Dbl

#1 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-December-31, 10:26

In a regional this week, the auction was (2H) X (P) X. I made the second Double. When TD arrived, I volunteered "sorry, I didn't see my partner's double, thought there were two Passes to me". The TD said I should not have said anything because he was going to take me away from the table and ask me something. Anyway, my double was cancelled and I was allowed to make any call I wanted but my partner would be barred from the auction.

With KQJxx-Kx-x-AQ9xx I had to decide what to bid, it was the semifinals of a KO. While I was thinking what the best action would be I said "I guess I should have got another cup of coffee...". Then I bid 6S. Seeing my bid, TD said "I don't think you need any more stimulation...". LOL. I managed to make it, dummy showed up with Axxx-J-AQxxx-108x.

My question is, why would the TD need to take me away from the table first?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-31, 10:43

To offer you something better than coffee.

To find out your intent. Maybe you had a double card in with your pass cards. The director call, if immediate, froze everything; and maybe you properly kept your mouth shut about the mechanical error.

Whatever you might tell the director doesn't need to be heard by your partner in any case --whatever happens next.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   PeterE 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-December-31, 11:08

No, behaving frozen in case of a mechanical error when calling does not help the offender. Only if he changes or tries to change his unintended call, the TD might allow this (Law 25 A).

There is no need to take this player off the table in this situation.

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2009-December-31, 13:09

I have no idea why the TD wanted you away from the table. To wish you Merry Xmas, perhaps?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-31, 19:24

aguahombre, on Dec 31 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

To offer you something better than coffee.

To find out your intent. Maybe you had a double card in with your pass cards. The director call, if immediate, froze everything; and maybe you properly kept your mouth shut about the mechanical error.

Whatever you might tell the director doesn't need to be heard by your partner in any case --whatever happens next.

Not sure I understand why it matters at all whether partner, and opponents, hear why I paid inadequate attention to the auction. I can understand it when there is an insufficient bid that it matters, but not in the given case.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users