• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#241 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-04, 23:13

Moved the thread about Playing BBO on iPad 2 from General Bridge to General BBO.

#242 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-February-09, 14:05

I moved the bbo league schedule and score thread from general bridge discussion to general bbo discussion, and pinned it. When the contest is over, I will unpin it....
--Ben--

#243 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-February-11, 21:52

Moved the thread suggesting multiple profiles to the Suggestions for the Software forum, it didn't belong in General Bridge Discussion.

#244 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-February-17, 15:54

I've created a new "bbo forum events" forum for putting things related to events played online involving forum members. Like forum specific tournaments, yellow tournaments, jec - forum member matches, bbo league info and hands, etc. In the process of creating this new forum, I have moved as many of the threads in other forum that are appropriate to the new forum, and will move more as I see them. I will probably combine the bidding contest forum with this one, as the forum bidding contest would be similar topic.
--Ben--

#245 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-February-18, 23:35

Moved the thread about ethics from General Bridge Discussion to General BBO Discussion, since it seemed to be specifically about BBO tourneys. MInor oops: I forgot to check the box to leave a pointer in the old forum.

Moved the thread about uploading hands to a teaching table from Support for Bridgebase Products to BBO Support Forum, since it's about BBO.

#246 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-February-28, 11:29

Topic on cheating reported by rhm was removed. There was a lot of post in that thread about this thread will be removed, and then when it wasn't, post asking why it wasn't removed. Here is why it was removed, and why it took so long, and here is my view on the subject.

1. We do not allow public accusations of cheating either here in this forum or on line while playing on bbo. This is long standing BBO policy, predating my appointment as either a yellow online or an administrator here in these forums.
2. In the forum posting a hand that "you played" and not mentioning the name of the opponents you played against is essentially a public accusation of cheating, the reason being that anyone can find the hand in question in a matter of seconds to minutes using myhands. An exception would exist if you waited until the hands rolled off the myhands list, or you had someone else who didn't play the hand post it (so there was no relationship between the poster and the hand played in the myhand record). So, for instance, if you posted a hand you kibitzed, that would be ok as long as you didn't provide the name of any of the players (but don't say, something like in a 2pm tourney yesterday, for instance).
3. I know for a fact that cheating occurs in online bridge games (regardless of where hosted). So does Fred, uday, all the yellows, and no doubt every member of this forum.
4. BBO has an active ethic department that investigate cheating claims. When necessary, cheaters are dealt with privately. There is a pecking order for cheating obviously. In events that cost money (the various bbo rating point events) the investigating of cheating is proactive. That is, people not even reported to abuse are investigated, and every person reported as being a "cheater" is investigated, usually within a day or two.
5. The private tournaments run by volunteers and that do not award BBO rating points (like the one described by rhm), the tourney host police/investigate their own events. You can report those players to the tourney host and to abuse. Should they play in bbo rating point events, they will certainly jump to the top of the list to be investigated for possible cheating. If they stick to free tournaments and main room games, they will not get a high priority to be investigated.
6. I have been away since last Tuesday, without internet access, getting back late last night (local time), so I just ran across this post this morning. This is why I didn't remove it, and probably has a lot to do with why it stayed as long as it did. I can speak to why no one of the other administrators didn't remove it, I will assume they didn't read it.
--Ben--

#247 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-February-28, 11:35

Moved the thread asking about reputations from Water Cooler to BBO Support Forum. WC is specifically for non-BBO topics.

#248 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-March-08, 13:58

edit a post on cheating to remove easily to find examples.

deleted a duplicate post of the same one (posted while hiding the first copy during editing and replying).
--Ben--

#249 User is offline   aguahombre 

• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-11, 22:58

Re: a recent thread, which is now well known.....I believe the mods should rethink using their power to lock a thread which they themselves started and did not go as they wanted it to go.

Or, let me cancel a thread I have started when the usual suspects ----instead of answering a bidding question within the given conditions----merely give their own conditions.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#250 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-12, 01:06

+1, and it would be nice to know which rule has been broken. 'OP feels repliers have misunderstood him/her'?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#251 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-12, 07:45

i agree with gwnn and aguahombre as well tbh
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#252 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-12, 08:28

I would probably never have looked at the thread if it hadn't been locked and all I can say is... wow.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#253 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 11:25

Ignore this - momentary blindness.

#254 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-13, 13:55

Moved the latest thread about BBO self-ratings to the General BBO Discussion forum, since BBO-specific discussions don't belong in General Bridge Discussion.

#255 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-13, 15:11

Moved the thread suggesting adding robot players to small robot tourneys to increase the field size from GIB Robot Discussion to the Suggestions for the Software forum. It's not really a discussion about the way GIB bids/plays, but about tourney formats.

#256 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-March-15, 09:42

Moved a couple of post from advanced bridge to general bridge discussion. May move a few more.
--Ben--

#257 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-15, 09:47

Ugh have I mentioned I hate those types of posts in General Bridge Discussion? Could you please move them to the I/A forum instead?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#258 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-15, 19:26

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-12, 01:06, said:

+1, and it would be nice to know which rule has been broken. 'OP feels repliers have misunderstood him/her'?

Come on, give him your plus for real instead of just posting it!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#259 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-16, 02:23

Moved MrAce's thread complaining about poor defense by the upgraded GIB from Bridge Material Review to the GIB forum.

#260 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-17, 09:53

Moved the "Please help" thread, discussing creating a new bridge robot, to the General Bridge Discussion forum. Bridge Material Review is supposed to be for reviews of existing bridge products.

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users