• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obvious Shift Good or Not

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-February-19, 11:46

A good friend of mine, plays the Granovetter's obvious shift carding. He is pretty a good players and swears by it. According to him many defensive situations can be dealt with more accurately, and he sees little downside.
If it's so good why is it not played by more experts. I would appreciate any insight.

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-February-19, 11:49

It's great in some situations, but not in others. It's imo not clear if the tradeoff is worth it.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-19, 12:52

I think many experts do play something like obvious shift, just not so rigorously laid out and applied as in the Granovetters' book.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-February-19, 13:50

I love it. None of my current partners play it, and while we do okay on defence, it is tougher. When I did play it, we ended up with a rule that it only applied during the first part of the defence, because it is so informative that a good declarer can use it against you. We used the grannovetter rules, altho we inverted one of the arbitrary ones... when dummy holds two 'equal' suits, I think G suggested the lower one to be the OS suit.. and we played the higher one, for no reason other than that we decided to...
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-February-19, 13:55

The concept always made sense but I never could get partner persuaded to learn something new.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#6 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2009-February-19, 15:27

What is obvious shift carding?
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-February-19, 18:12

Lots of experience with it and I can tell you that it is worth the time invested.

You need to be very clear on the rules of when it applies and when it doesn't. Even BT has changed its rules over the years.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-19, 18:16

dicklont, on Feb 19 2009, 04:27 PM, said:

The idea is that after the dummy comes down, a particular suit other than the one lead is designated the Obvious Shift.

If opening leader's partner makes a discouraging signal to the opening lead, it means he would like a switch to the Obvious Shift suit. An encouraging signal to the opening lead can be based on a hand that doesn't want a switch to the Obvious Shift suit, even without holding much of anything in the suit lead.

The full Obvious Shift method described in the Granovetters' excellent book "A switch in time" gives a full set of rules for determining which suit is the obvious shift. In general these are very logical (based on the bidding and on what's in dummy) but occasionally there is an arbitrary tie-breaker (i.e. lowest suit) because it is important that both partners be in agreement about which suit is the Obvious Shift. The book also recommends giving frequent suit preference signals (rather than count) to declarer's leads.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is online   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-February-19, 18:24

We play Obvious Switch and I like it.

We pretty much play the Granovetter rules.

We have a number of situations in which we give count rather than attitude. When partner leads an honour an needs to be able to determine whether the lower honour will cash when there is a lower honour in dummy - typcially lead Ace and Queen in dummy or lead king and jack in dummy. In opening leader's suit we don't require the honour in dummy to switch (obviously excuse the pun) to count.

We only play Obvious Switch at trick one.

We play attitude and count discards not the recommended suit preference.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   maxentius 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-February-20, 02:10

I played this convention 5 years ago...sometimes very good results, sometimes disasters...now I have 2 good friends of mine who play Obvious Shift...my oppinion is that only a very old relationship should play this convention and after loooong discutions only...the worst thing regarding of this convention is that sometimes you should choice the smalest disaster from a hand which doesn't know anything...sometimes you lead and partner make an signal...you'll never know if that one is an agressive one or just a refusing for an alternative...sometimes you have Qxx and pd requires to play in this suit (the dummy has xxxx) and you'll play there and you'll make free way for the declarer...he doesn't need to find the position...you'll never know if the pd want's to play obviously there or doesn't like to continue the leadind suit...and finally I don't agree that a covention could generate disaster...I accept to not find everytime the perfect defence way, but I really hate to play a convention which sometimes could make me the only one player who will deliver a slam...and the players who use to play OS could confirm it

#11 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-February-20, 04:23

It is very good but needs some practice and a regular partner. It's not "2/1, 3rd and 5th, Obv. Shift partner?"
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#12 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2009-February-20, 09:33

I have had more arguments over Obvious Shift than any other thing in bridge. I have played it with only a few partners that have read the book. It is a winner in the long term, but you must get the rules down pat.

I am moving toward giving count more often as Mark Horton's book on defense makes such a good case for count.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-February-20, 09:49

The 'obvious shift' principle becomes natural if you think of it in terms of "I must encourage if I can't stand a shift".

Used to play it, and think it's interesting. However, the Granovetters "sell" it in snake oil style. It won't solve all your defensive problems, like they promise.

#14 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 10:08

Playing Obvious Shift, I once led an Ace against 6 and partner dropped an honor. In Obvious Shift methods this asks for the unusual shift. I duly shifted; my partner was a bit annoyed that he did not get his ruff.

No matter what carding method you are using, it is important to use common sense and not get caught up in the method -- any method will run into situations where cards are not readable or the "wrong" card must be played in order to take all your tricks.

#15 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-February-20, 10:11

Yes nothing works ever, but OS is great.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#16 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 11:40

The key point about the Granovetters' method is not the obvious shift a trick one--this is just formalizing some common sense. For example if partner leads a diamond and he will shift to a heart if I discourage, it may be better to encourage with nothing in diamonds if the heart shift would be harmful.

The crux of the matter is the very frequent use of suit preference from trick 2 onward. This a mixed bag--sometimes works well, sometimes sucks. It does require a lot of work on partnership defense.

#17 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 17:01

mikeh, on Feb 19 2009, 02:50 PM, said:

I love it. None of my current partners play it, and while we do okay on defence, it is tougher. When I did play it, we ended up with a rule that it only applied during the first part of the defence, because it is so informative that a good declarer can use it against you. We used the grannovetter rules, altho we inverted one of the arbitrary ones... when dummy holds two 'equal' suits, I think G suggested the lower one to be the OS suit.. and we played the higher one, for no reason other than that we decided to...

As I recall. My expert P only uses it at trick 1. I'm unclear on the reason for this but I will try to clarify

#18 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 17:04

mikestar, on Feb 20 2009, 12:40 PM, said:

The key point about the Granovetters' method is not the obvious shift a trick one--this is just formalizing some common sense. For example if partner leads a diamond and he will shift to a heart if I discourage, it may be better to encourage with nothing in diamonds if the heart shift would be harmful.

The crux of the matter is the very frequent use of suit preference from trick 2 onward. This a mixed bag--sometimes works well, sometimes sucks. It does require a lot of work on partnership defense.

Yes, this sounds about right. Trick 1 is the trigger. Subsequent carding also relates to suit prefenence "re-inforcment"

#19 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 17:06

Winstonm, on Feb 19 2009, 02:55 PM, said:

The concept always made sense but I never could get partner persuaded to learn something new.

Time for a new P ;) . New ideas are most often worth a try.

#20 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 17:08

dicklont, on Feb 19 2009, 04:27 PM, said:

Suit preference carding relating to Dummy's Suit. By definition 1 suit is designated as the OBVIOUS suit and attitude is given regarding that suit.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users