BBO Discussion Forums: Manipulate partner to give you a clue - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Manipulate partner to give you a clue Improvise a "Rusinow" lead

#1 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-October-01, 02:24

Last Wednesday someone at the club asked me if I still learned anything from playing bridge. Having played duplicate for 23 years and spending a lot of time reading and discussing bridge in the meantime, one might think that I have learned everything that I can possibly learn about the game and that the only reason why I am not a World champion is just my lack of talent.

But you never stop learning. At least, I hope that I learned something from this morning's BBO tournament, although I am not sure if I think correctly about this hand. That's why I am posting it here.

As you can see, I lead partner's spade suit and he gave me a spade ruff after winning the first trump trick. I decided to switch to a diamond which I suppose is reasonable, but I think I was wrong to lead the systematic Q.

What happened was that partner played low and declarer won the A. I didn't know if my partner has K so I got pseudo-squeesed on the clubs and decided to hold on to diamonds rather than hearts, so eventually dummy's heart suit ran.

If I had lead J instead, partner would probably have played K which may seem wasteful but we could afford that, and it would have told me that I don't need to keep a small diamond.

Or maybe better to play a small diamond? That's silly if T holds but that doesn't sound so likely. And if declarer had a third diamond (they might not play support doubles, who knows) we might not be able to afford letting J and K go to the same trick.

Probably I should have guessed right anyway, opener is not so likely to have K. But I just thought that it was a cute idea to pretend not to have Q in order to manipulate partner to disclose the diamond position.

What do you think?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-01, 03:25

If you lead the Jack, doesn't it turn into a legitimate squeeze which guarantees declarer the extra trick?

Hiding the top honor in general to force partner to overtake when you need a switch can work in other situations though.

#3 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-01, 03:50

Yes of course, silly me :) yes for me to keep hearts I have to rely on partner to keep diK
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users