#1 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-March-12, 00:07

Scoring: IMP

1-(P)-1-(2)
2-(X)-3-(4)
AP

If it wasn't for you, this would be a "genuine expert table" (according to another post).
You lead A (agree?), and it goes A-4-2-9.

Your play to trick 2?

You are playing udca.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2 User is offline   temp3600 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-March-12, 07:16

A and a club.
I think partner is very unlikely to be singleton in spades : that would give him a lot of hearts and diamonds, and he probably would've gone farther than 3. Also, South with three spades might have bid spades after his partner's X. He knows North has a weak hand, and so is probably showing a 5-card spade suit.
<edit>If South started with the doubleton Q, I take it and play him for a heart void.</edit>

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-12, 09:14

, it is about time we play our suit :)

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-March-12, 09:40

I think this is a bit of a guess (brilliant statement, eh?)

We can play for declarer to have 3s, in which case three rounds of that suit leads to an easy set. Or we can try to destroy dummy's ability to ruff s... give declarer Qx void AKxx KQ9xxxx... lead the A and a , allow declarer a pitch on the A and we still get 4 tricks.

I am not persuaded that declarer denied Qxx in s by 4. With 3=0=3=7 shape, I'm bidding 4 not 3.

But what about partner? He went awfully quietly if he is 1=5=5=2.. after all, I did open 1 so he'd expect a better double fit than we have. If we give him the KQJxx in s, he can't have much in s to be bidding 3 (non-progressive) or to be passing 4.

So I suspect he is 2=5=4=2 and the switch to the A and a is the superior play. I hope to find declarer with Qx void AKxx KQ9xxxx and partner with xx KQJxx QJ10x xx.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-March-12, 09:54

Pard can hold 2, 62, Q2 or Q62 of spades. Only with the 1st holding do I want to continue spades.

Pard needs 5 hearts for the reraise, and declarer probably has 7 clubs for the 4 club call.

So declarer's most likely shapes are 2=0=4=7, 2=0=5=6, or 1=0=5=7.

Less likely, but possible are 3=0=3=7 (that gives pard 5-5 in the reds...), 2=1=4=6 (pard reraised on 4?), 3=1=3=6 (probably a 3 preference here).

Its possible the can dissappear on the A, but a loser can be sluffed anyway.

I'll try A, .
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2007-March-12, 09:56

If you play A, , declarer wins in hand and leads the Q.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-March-12, 10:02

cherdano, on Mar 12 2007, 07:56 AM, said:

If you play A, , declarer wins in hand and leads the Q.

Does pard hi-lo in trumps (to show 3)?

Odd; declarer didn't leave the lead in dummy to cash the A, so I'm placing pard with 4.

If pard hi-lo's in trump, I will win and play a heart. Pard can neutralize the spade by ruffing.

If pard lo-hi's in trump, I can count 6 clubs, 1 heart, and one diamond (somehow). If I win the spade, I need pard to hold AK (impossible), so I need to duck the spade.
"Phil" on BBO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users